Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-Boat. Can someone explain

Kurtis500
    I remember my dads friend owning one years ago before I paid attention to details. Where they shorter boats? I thought I remember them talking about 16 footers. They also ran small blocks. This is all I know.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    Were they shorter?
    Not necessarily.

Come on jerry....'splain a little more for a v drive brother

xracer
    I think you were referring to the APBA E Racing Runabout. This class became extinct in about 1979 and was essentially replaced by the Super Stock Class. The E Racing Runabout was defined by the APBA Runabout rules (a Flat Bottom Hull) and was limited to 311 Cubic Inches.
    I first saw this class run in Utah in 1964 and 1965. Wes Knudsen held the Kilo record through 1978 in a front engined (yes, like a Cracker Box) hull. The boat ran loose, but very fast. His record in 1978 was 108.46 MPH. The last reported Kilo record in the class was McArdle in a Chevrolet/B-boat at 112.15. For comparison, the 1977 Superstock record, held by Pettengill in a Chevrolet/B-boat in was 110.74. Makes one wonder what the extra 116 Cubic Inches are for. *S*
    The E Racing Runabout 5-Mile 3 Lap record was set by Villwock in 1978 in a Chevrolet/Starfire at 94.14 MPH. At that time a Ford/Starfire driven by Jack Jones held the Super Stock record at 97.99 MPH.
    In that time period the Super Stock boats could weigh in at 1500 Lbs, wet without the driver. The current Super Stock rule is 1750 Lbs with the driver, making a 250 Lb driver penalty. I suspect the E Racing Runabouts were much lighter, 1100 Lbs in easy reach.
    The 5-Mile 3 Lap record of Villwock in a Chevrolet Starfire at 100.28 MPH has stood since 1985, unbeaten. That record is not too far from his E Racing Runabout record of 94.14 MPH.
    I have seen discussions here about a "Crate Engine" (smallblock?) class. Keeping the APBA bottom rules and adapting the weight to a lighter small block it would probably be possible for that class to outrun todays Super Stocks.

I think you were referring to the APBA E Racing Runabout. This class became extinct in about 1979 and was essentially replaced by the Super Stock Class. The E Racing Runabout was defined by the APBA Runabout rules (a Flat Bottom Hull) and was limited to 311 Cubic Inches.
    I could swear I remember E's and SS's and SK's as well as K's racing all at the same races. I could be wrong though was a long time ago.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I could swear I remember E's and SS's and SK's as well as K's racing all at the same races. I could be wrong though was a long time ago.
    The ss class was formed in 65.

CircleJerk
    Wasnt this called 'Grand Prix racing'? Usually run after all classes had finished?

No I didn't mean together, just all racing at the same event weekend (E & SS as in SS not replacing E but running both classes back then).

the real k-boat king
    I first saw this class run in Utah in 1964 and 1965. Wes Knudsen held the Kilo record through 1978 in a front engined (yes, like a Cracker Box) hull. The boat ran loose, but very fast. His record in 1978 was 108.46 MPH. The last reported Kilo record in the class was McArdle in a Chevrolet/B-boat at 112.15. For comparison, the 1977 Superstock record, held by Pettengill in a Chevrolet/B-boat in was 110.74. Makes one wonder what the extra 116 Cubic Inches are for. *S*
    The E Racing Runabout 5-Mile 3 Lap record was set by Villwock in 1978 in a Chevrolet/Starfire at 94.14 MPH. At that time a Ford/Starfire driven by Jack Jones held the Super Stock record at 97.99 MPH.
    In that time period the Super Stock boats could weigh in at 1500 Lbs, wet without the driver. The current Super Stock rule is 1750 Lbs with the driver, making a 250 Lb driver penalty. I suspect the E Racing Runabouts were much lighter, 1100 Lbs in easy reach.
    The 5-Mile 3 Lap record of Villwock in a Chevrolet Starfire at 100.28 MPH has stood since 1985, unbeaten. That record is not too far from his E Racing Runabout record of 94.14 MPH.
    I have seen discussions here about a "Crate Engine" (smallblock?) class. Keeping the APBA bottom rules and adapting the weight to a lighter small block it would probably be possible for that class to outrun todays Super Stocks.the e class was just another flatbottom class, it didn't get replaced by any other class it just got removed along with the sk class. the rules were 330 cid. do any thing you wanted to the engine on gas, no injection but you could run two carbs, the kilo record is 119 mph held by greg foster. the hull rules were the same as they are now.

xracer
    It is very likely that for some period of time in California that all four classes were present at the races. The records for E Racing Runabout end in 1978. Before 1978 and shortly after 1978, during the demise of the E Racing Runabout there would be racers that wanted to race them.
    I do not have clear visibility on that from Texas where I was racing. SDBA abandoned APBA (probably a good move) and formed their own circle classes. We had an SBC class which quickly populated with about 15 boats. One of the fattest wallets ever to race, Red Adair was in the class. Among many of us of very modest means.
    Pettengill cleaned up the unlimited class until the demise of the Austin Aqua Festival and the long time collapse of circle races in Texas. I do not recall any California E, SS, SK or PS boats at Austin. The rules would have disadvanged them

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast