Thread: Something rusted though on my 460 Head

AntRant
    A simple Question which i hope has a simple solution....On the head of my 460bbf theres a cap about the size of a dime. Looks like a small freeze out plug. It's rusted rite through. Is this easy to replace? Should i replace the one on the other head and the rest of the freeze out plugs on the block since it is already out of the boat? Is ther a tool for installing and removing? Where do i get this stuff? Thanks AntRant(the new guy)

Replace EVERY single freeze plug you can!!!!
    When one rusts out, you can be sure the others are also on their way. Use brass plugs, the won't corrode. You should be able to get a full kit from a decent parts house or speed shop.

tuucan
    AntRant,
    When I've had to that I would take a flathead screw driver and put it on the lip of the plug and tap it until it turned sideways and then pull it out.Don't hit to hard or it might fall inside.Other than that I Don't if they make a tool for that.Just my .02.

Boater Bill
    Adding to the above tips (which are right on) try using a socket that closely matches the id of the freeze plug for installation. Gentle taps knocks em right in. In the old days we used to apply Permatex on the lip before installing, don't know if that is still applicable today.

triple x tx
    i used rubber freeze plugs on my bbc.....no special tool just stick them in tighten up the nut and your done....no rusting either...you can buy them at oreilys for about $4.00 bucks a pop!!!

wsm9808
    I cant recall the 460 having freeze plugs that go into the water jacket of the head. There are however 2 small .665 OD plugs on each head(one on each end) that you can see when facing the front or rear of the motor. Most later heads have A.I.R (smog pump) holes in the exhaust ports and to connect the holes and supply air to them from the smog pump Ford drills a hole all the way through the head from end to end. When not useing a smog pump the holes in the head are simply pluged with the small "freeze plug". They tend to rot out quickly and they will leek exhaust and make a noise(that you wont hear if you have open headers). But, often they dont leek because they are blocked with exhaust soot and carbon. The plugs are kindof hard to find, but NAPA can get them under part# 219-2188 (I'm pretty sure that is right, but Im not at the shop and am quoating the # from memory)
    [This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited November 08, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by wsm9808 (edited November 08, 2001).]

wsm9808
    As far as getting them in and out, I just use a screwdriver and tap on the outer rim and turn em sidways(not always easy b/c of the carbon built up behind them). Install them with a sockett or anything that will fit inside the the cup of the plug. Just tap them in.

schiada96
    I use a slide hammer with a sheet metal screw in it. Works great if you can get to them with it.