Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump Whining???

challengerjet
    I noticed this weekend that while cruising say around 4000rpm or higher that i'm getting a whining noise coming from what seems to be the pump when i turn the wheel slightly to the left. it almost sounds like a turbo kicking in.
    secondly, is 6000 rpm unheard of out of a relatively mild BBC???
    thanks in advance
    cjet

77Spectra
    The whining sounds like your thrust bearing. 6000 is high for a mild engine. I would bet rebuild time.

challengerjet
    i'm not 100% sure that the tach is correct but at WOT it's pegged at 6k.
    as far as the bearing goes, i lube it everytime i go out and this weekend it seemed as though there was alot of grease that had been pushed out and was laying on the pump under the bearing. any thoughts?

rivercrazy
    If grease is coming out in excess, your overgreasing it.

challengerjet
    so the fact that grease is coming out doesn't necessarily mean that the bearing is going? i'm just curious about the noise.
    thanks
    cjet

bajaruner
    Sounds to me like the bearing for some reason is going bad, and the reason grease is coming out through the seals is that the bearing is getting to hot. Most likely your bowl bushings are wasted putting alot of twisted side load on the thrust bearing. It's rebuild time.

challengerjet
    thanks guys, not what i wanted to hear, but that's the breaks i guess. it sure runs good though.
    looks like i'll be making the trek over to mpd to have it looked at.
    cjet

riverlover
    ChallengerJet, your not going to believe this, but mine is doing the same thing. Well, sort of. I got a lot of grease comming out this weekend, the ride didn't feel the same to me, and I'm running 5500rpm. Makes ya wonder huh? Let me know the outcome at MPD, I might be right behind ya. You do have the 460/jacuzzi set up right?
    RL

challengerjet
    riverlover,
    no, i'm running a BBC with Dominator. but i can't say it didn't feel the same, the boat was running awesome and sometimes i would hear the whine and other times i wouldn't. but it never really affected the overall performance. i was planning on heading out again this weekend but plans are already falling apart, so i might be going to see jack sooner than i thought. I will let you know the outcome.
    jamie

Hallett19
    man, I have the same problem on mine, it only does it at a low idle out of the water, bring the idle up past a grand, and it goes away, and it never does it in the water, maybe its haunted ?? my guess to fix it, take it to church and get it blessed, that is what I am going to do http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast