Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Highway Patol Here?

sdpm
    My wife was driving out to meet us in Havasu from San Diego this last weekend and was pulled over for an estimated speed of 80 in a 65. She was going through the dips just east of Glamis and was comming up a rise from one of the dips and veering a little to the left when comming over the rise in the other direction was a CHP. She said she went for quite a ways before she was pulled over. After asking for the basics he explained to her that she was getting a ticket for speeding. She asked him how fast she was going and he said around 80? She said that she didn't think she was going that fast and I doubt she was either. She has never had a speeding ticket in 26yrs of driving and she also had our kids with her. How did he estimate her speed? Even on the ticket it reads "est 80". I don't see how he could have estimated that.

piper
    With your wife's driving record being so good maybe you might want to go to court.

sdpm
    Hi Piper, I just don't understand how he estimated her speed? I wasn't there and she didn't ask any questions and my 6 yr old was very scared and she just wanted to get out of there. She didn't want to even stop out in the middle of no where with just her and the kids in the car. I will never let her drive anywhere like that again. She was scared and so were my kids. If she was speeding so be it. I don't have a problem with that, but what I do have a problem with is the "estimate" thing! If she was caught on radar or paced then O.K.. Never again! My bad. I'll take the ticket thinking of what could have happened?

famaffair
    My wife was driving out to meet us in Havasu from San Diego this last weekend and was pulled over for an estimated speed of 80 in a 65. She was going through the dips just east of Glamis and was comming up a rise from one of the dips and veering a little to the left when comming over the rise in the other direction was a CHP. She said she went for quite a ways before she was pulled over. After asking for the basics he explained to her that she was getting a ticket for speeding. She asked him how fast she was going and he said around 80? She said that she didn't think she was going that fast and I doubt she was either. She has never had a speeding ticket in 26yrs of driving and she also had our kids with her. How did he estimate her speed? Even on the ticket it reads "est 80". I don't see how he could have estimated that.
    It's possible he was running radar, however it should have been on the ticket . However, speed estimates do hold up in court. If you are radar trained, you have to do 100 speed estimates and be withinn 5 mph on each estimate to get radar trained. Even if he was not using radar he can write that ticket as an estimate because he is considered a speed expert. Courts have upheld this method of enforcement.

NuckinFutz
    I can't speak for California, but in Utah a speed estimation won't hold up in court without a radar, lidar, or paced conformation. All officers estimate speed and confirm it with one of the above methods. Granted, after 15 years of chasing tailights for a living, I get pretty good at estimates, but would never right a citation, or even pull someone over without knowing without a doubt what the confirmed speed is. I'd take the citation to court and make the officer prove he is as good as a radar! Guilty means "beyond a reasonable doubt", and I don't think his estimate will hold up to that standard.

piper
    It's possible he was running radar, however it should have been on the ticket . However, speed estimates do hold up in court. If you are radar trained, you have to do 100 speed estimates and be withinn 5 mph on each estimate to get radar trained. Even if he was not using radar he can write that ticket as an estimate because he is considered a speed expert. Courts have upheld this method of enforcement.
    True but is sdbm's wife has a good driving record maybe that can help them out of the ticket.

sdpm
    Hi Bob, I don't know if you remember the incident quite awhile ago here in San Diego about the CHP officer that pulled a girl over on th 15 fwy at Mercy Rd. I think here last name was Knott or something close to that. The CHP officer took her ouder the overpass and killed her!! This has always stuck in our minds and alot of others around here. To this day alot of women will not stop when getting pulled over until they are around other people or in a populated area and well lighted ( if at night). I think my little girl was just scared because she is just a little girl and have never seen her dad or mom get a ticket or puller over. Thats all. My wife did say that he was not very nice and even looked a little mean. :devil:

blowngas
    what the hell ever happened to "protect and serve"???-----it's a damn shame that it's turned into a way of generating revenue now days!!!!

MudPumper
    Bitchen, another cop bashing thread. :crossx:

sdpm
    Hey Bob, you wouldn't happen to be the Bob that was or is partners in Shockwave are you?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast