Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Highway Patol Here?

famaffair
    That incident was in the early 80s, I beleive 1980 but not exactly sure. The Officer that killed that poor girl is still in jail and will never get out.

sdpm
    You know the other thing that is odd is that the ticket reads: posted speed limit 65, safe speed limit 70, and recorded speed est 80. If the speed limit is posted 65 what is up with the safe speed limit he wrote 70? I don't understand any of this. I can see if it was raining or snowing and the safe limit was lower but higher than the posted limit? Go figure??

My wife was driving out to meet us in Havasu from San Diego this last weekend and was pulled over for an estimated speed of 80 in a 65. She was going through the dips just east of Glamis and was comming up a rise from one of the dips and veering a little to the left when comming over the rise in the other direction was a CHP. She said she went for quite a ways before she was pulled over. After asking for the basics he explained to her that she was getting a ticket for speeding. She asked him how fast she was going and he said around 80? She said that she didn't think she was going that fast and I doubt she was either. She has never had a speeding ticket in 26yrs of driving and she also had our kids with her. How did he estimate her speed? Even on the ticket it reads "est 80". I don't see how he could have estimated that.
    I would have your Wife go to Court on this. Have her plead not guilty and ask for a court trial. They will assign her a trial date, and you will have to post bail in the amount of any possible fine. When the trial date arrives, have your Wife in Court WITH your kids in tow. They will be witnesses. There is a very good chance the officer will not show up. Case dismissed. There is also a VERY good chance given your wife's spotless DMV report(the Judge will have it in front of him) that he will believe her instead of the officer's 'estimate'. Case dismissed. If he asks for a witness, let your Wife bring up the oldest child that was with her. The Judge will ask one question(given her record) like 'Was your Mommy driving faster than she normally does on a trip when the officer pulled her over?" When your child says 'no', he will believe them(they don't lie). Case dismissed. This is a win-win-win situation. I wouldn't pay the fine. Take em' to Court.

gnRacer98
    Step back at look at it from the CHP point of view.
    If after ndturning around to pursue her, he noted he was exceeding 90-95mph for "quite a ways" most reasonable people (like a judge) would accept that as fairly good "estimate" of her speed. Be grateful she stopped, she would have had alot more reason to be "scared" if he had to forcibly remove her from the highway for evading an LE. Pay the ticket and be grateful everyone is safe.

77charger
    I was pulled over years ago on a motorcycle cop was on side of fwy getting ready to go back on.I stopped he told me he estimated me at 75 then asked how fast ti thought i was going i was honest told him prob little over 70 (speed limit was 55 then)He told me that if he wrote me the ticket his estimate was good enough in court(from his experience) but let me go with a warning for being honest about the speed.These days time off work to fight a ticket that you WILL NOT WIN is not worth it.I take the traffic school and deal with it.

locogringo
    I was pulled over years ago on a motorcycle cop was on side of fwy getting ready to go back on.I stopped he told me he estimated me at 75 then asked how fast ti thought i was going i was honest told him prob little over 70 (speed limit was 55 then)He told me that if he wrote me the ticket his estimate was good enough in court(from his experience) but let me go with a warning for being honest about the speed.These days time off work to fight a ticket that you WILL NOT WIN is not worth it.I take the traffic school and deal with it.
    I would have to disagree. It has been a while now but I think I have gotten out of 5-6 tickets over the last 9 years.

novaguy
    Hi Bob, I don't know if you remember the incident quite awhile ago here in San Diego about the CHP officer that pulled a girl over on th 15 fwy at Mercy Rd. I think here last name was Knott or something close to that. The CHP officer took her ouder the overpass and killed her!! This has always stuck in our minds and alot of others around here. To this day alot of women will not stop when getting pulled over until they are around other people or in a populated area and well lighted ( if at night). I think my little girl was just scared because she is just a little girl and have never seen her dad or mom get a ticket or puller over. Thats all. My wife did say that he was not very nice and even looked a little mean. :devil:
    PULEEEEZE!!!!!! Suck it up and admit your f/u....

PBOCOP
    More than likely, he was using a Stalker Dual Radar system in his unit. This is mounted on the dash and it shows the speeds for the vehicles coming towards you. We them on the motorcycles, CHP has them on the motorcycles and most of the units too. In a desolate area like that, I'm sure all the units have that radar setup as well. Visual estimation will hold up in court based on experience, etc, but more than likely he was using moving radar. They have front and rear antennae's as well so that we get the vehicle coming towards us as well as when they pass us. Pretty slick system.

scarabrick2
    I got a ticket for the same thing. I also had NO prior tickets. I called the court house to take care of it and the lady on the phone said since you have clean record sign the back of the ticket, pay the full amount, admit your fault(signing the ticket) and she'll drop the charge to a non moving violation (AKA Parking ticket). I then got a ticket again a few months later and they did the same thing. Only thing it hurts is the pocket book. They (the court) don't want you to take up the courts time and if you go to pleed not guilty with the DA's croney he'll say, he doesn't want you to take up the judges time and reduce the payment usually by half. I payed over the phone with a CC and it only took 5-6 min.
    Rick

sdpm
    Step back at look at it from the CHP point of view.
    If after ndturning around to pursue her, he noted he was exceeding 90-95mph for "quite a ways" most reasonable people (like a judge) would accept that as fairly good "estimate" of her speed. Be grateful she stopped, she would have had alot more reason to be "scared" if he had to forcibly remove her from the highway for evading an LE. Pay the ticket and be grateful everyone is safe.
    You are so right!! I could really care less about the ticket. I was just interested in how he did this, thats all.I am very GRATEFUL that everyone is safe. Thanks
    It sure was an eye opener for me!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast