Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NJBA rope deflector req' /Busby? BP? Willis?

cyclone
    I'm pondering how I want to build the rope deflector for my Stealth and was thinking of combining it with my cooler mount. I'm going to mount a stainless steel cooler in front of the motor, between the stringers since that's the only room I have in the boat for it. If the cooler is securely mounted can I mount the rope deflector in front of it and have it run up over the cooler and the motor? Maybe I should take the cooler out for races? It'd be nice not to have to remove anything from my river boat to prep it for racing. I'm thinking of leaving the alternator, saddle tanks and cooler in place and just adding the pop-off onto the pump when I go to the track.
    what do you guys think? Can a guy go down the track with a cooler in the boat? I promise I wont have any beer in it? :rollside:
    I also think we need to get Hustler and Big Proppa to run their cruisers at Ming. It could be a battle of the tug boats class. Both should have to run the track with their monster audio systems banging rap music during the passes.

Hustler
    I would love to run but I told you I'm gonna need a passanger to help me on the rope. You would'nt of expected the captain of the titanic to do it all by him self would you

cyclone
    then may I volunteer to hold the rope and play DJ? The theme music from the cannonball run would be perfect for racing Hannah.

Hustler
    Looks like I have copilot now we just gotta get NJBA to buy off on it

Okay ... I think I can answer this ... according to #10 of tech inspection, you should be okay. I would require some sort of locking device for your lid though.
    Tha following is from the rule book and should cover any questions, otherwise, check the web site: http://njbaracing.net/2005_njba_rulebook.pdf
    TECH INSPECTION
    1. Boat registration will not be completed until the boat has successfully passed a technical inspection for the event and class for which it is entered.
    2. All boats must be in safe mechanical condition as determined by NJBA Inspectors. This applies particularly to steering, throttle linkage, U-joints, motor mounts and bolts, seat mounts, wiring and fuel systems.
    3. On all motor mounting hardware, a minimum of two (2) threads of the fastener must be exposed past the end of the nut.
    4. All boats must have a 360-degree flywheel cover made of production aluminum or the equivalent material.
    5. All boats must have a throttle return spring, which will insure an idle condition when the linkage is disconnected or fails. The spring may not be connected to ball joint.
    6. All boats must have a “kill switch” connected to the driver that will shut off the engine in the event the driver is thrown out of his seat. This devise shall be mounted or release routed so as to disconnect should drivers posterior move more than 18” in any direction from the drivers seat. Steel clips only on kill switch lanyard. No plastic hooks permitted.
    7. All boats with cable steering must have a minimum of two (2) clamps on each cable.
    8. No fuel tanks will be part of, or attached to seat.
    9. All boats must have a fully charged minimum 5 lb. fire extinguisher in the pits and tow vehicle, with a current certification tag.
    10. A device will be required on all boats, which will deflect the holding rope over the highest point of the boat. Minimum specifications 3/4 x .049 tubing mounted at an approximate 45 degree angle and attached at both ends.
    11. All boats equipped with a parachute shall have an actuating device located in such a position so to be readily accessible and actuated by the driver without necessitating the release of either hand from the steering wheel (i.e., controlled actuating device on steering wheel, foot release, etc.) a back-up manual release must be within easy reach of the driver. All parachutes will be subject to deployment during inspection.
    JET BOATS
    1. All jet driven boats that run 145 MPH or faster must have an NJBA approved safety capsule installed.
    2. All jet driven boats that run 100 MPH or faster must have a “pop-off valve” or a ratcheting device.
    3. All jet boat intake grates must have bolts drilled all the way through (hull) with a minimum 5/16" bolt and nutted on top. Bolts should be steel, not stainless, and should be fine thread.
    BLOWN BOATS
    1. All blown-injected motors are required to have blower restraints. All blown fuel motors are required to utilize an SFI 14-2 approved restraining device. All blown alcohol motors will be required to utilize an SFI 14-1 approved restraining device. All blown motors utilizing a screw type blower are required to utilize an SFI 14.21 approved restraining device regardless of type of fuel used. All screw type blowers are restricted to the amount of overdrive used and must meet SFI spec 34.1 construction standards. For construction standards and overdrive percentages, contact the Tech Department. This restraining device must be in place at all times when the motor is running.
    2. All blown, injected, or fuel boats must have a fuel shut off valve conntrollable from along side or in front of driver. The valve shall be located between the main fuel pump and the injectors.

MudPumper
    Looks like I have copilot now we just gotta get NJBA to buy off on it
    In that case let me volunteer to copilot for Bill. :crossx: Besides he needs somebody to hold the bottle of 99 Bananas.

flat broke
    Mike, Joe, Mike,
    There shouldnt be any reason the cruisers can't run RR, so long as they meet all safety requirements for their ET/Speed. The only problem I could see from an NJBA standpoint is that the big boats will throw a larger wake when turning to make the out ramp, and it could take a little longer for the rollers to dissipate.
    Somethin else to think about, both of those boats (you'd have to check the rules for the length on Joe's) would probably be legal for the nostalgia roundy rounds. They hold those up at Ming in early October. Last time I had spoken with someone about that, they said the same thing they said to Squirtin Thunder... get enough boats, and you can have a jet only class. To my way of thinking the cruisers are a little better suited to a couple of laps around the bouys than down the 1/4, but either would be bitchen to watch. And of course there is always the Parker 300 if it gets approved.
    Chris

Danhercules
    I'm pondering how I want to build the rope deflector for my Stealth and was thinking of combining it with my cooler mount. I'm going to mount a stainless steel cooler in front of the motor, between the stringers since that's the only room I have in the boat for it. If the cooler is securely mounted can I mount the rope deflector in front of it and have it run up over the cooler and the motor?
    what do you guys think? Can a guy go down the track with a cooler in the boat? I promise I wont have any beer in it? :rollside:
    Give me some time to come up with somthin Mike, I am thinkin aobut a Rope Deflector that doubles as a beer bong. Right by the cooler where it belongs. My beer belly and I will ponder on this idea. :idea:

bp
    mike, as the rules say, the deflector must be at an approximate 45 degree angle. there are a few that are on the edge with this, and they are only placing there own stuff at risk. just remember what the purpose is, and that the rope doesn't forgive. if it comes down as you hit the throttle, and the deflector isn't angled properly, or there's something for the rope to grab, the rope will not be the thing that gives first. so put it together keeping all that in mind.
    hustler, no you can't have a rider. there have been bigger boats than yours out there, just grab on. we can wait for yer little rollers to go away. if ya want to do it, just get a rope deflector prepared and show up.

Co-drivers are allowed according to the NJBA entry form.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast