Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Register trailer in Calif or AZ?

FASTERDAMITT
    Primary residense in Calif but have Vaca home in AZ. Can I register the trailer in Az like the boat if it will be in Calif part time? I have heard stories awhile back that people had problems with the Calif DMV doing this.

Boatcop
    If you are a California Resident every vehicle (trailer is a vehicle) you own MUST be registered in California, unless that vehicle will NEVER be brought into California. (Even just passing through, for repairs, or whatever)
    Boats are different. They can be registered in the State of principle use. So no problems in registering the boat in AZ. However the trailer must be registered in CA.

wantacat
    What he said, boat in Arizona and trailer in Cali. Have you had the boat registered in CA already?

FASTERDAMITT
    No, boat in new built in New York. Thanks.

Steamin' Rice
    [QUOTE=wantacat]What he said, boat in Arizona and trailer in Cali. [QUOTE]
    what he said

PBOCOP
    AZ. I register them all in AZ. Never had a problem. Although, I never bring them back to California either. If you can, always register the boat in Arizona. Shitty California will charge a luxury tax on your boat if it is Reg in Calif.

Titan7
    Can you change reg to AZ if it's currently Reg in CA?

wantacat
    AZ. I register them all in AZ. Never had a problem. Although, I never bring them back to California either. If you can, always register the boat in Arizona. Shitty California will charge a luxury tax on your boat if it is Reg in Calif.
    Yea what he said. serious though never register in california if you can avoid it due to the luxury tax. If its registered here even for one day you will be charged for the entire year. Register the boat in Arizona as a non resident. Regardless your suppose to register the boat in the state you use it the most. Do a search here, there is a good thread on who to contact in Arizona with a number so you will have no hassle. Good luck later!

wantacat
    Can you change reg to AZ if it's currently Reg in CA?
    Yes you can but you will be charged luxury tax for the year it was in california, its needs to be out of cali before jan 1st. I think you have to prove were the boat is stored. (ex. reciepts etc)

wantacat
    OK found the number on who to contact at the phoenix office, her name is Libby 602-942-3000 ext 3406

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast