Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casale V-drive education.

bocco
    So I know that my boat has a C500 with 15% gears. As I start thinking about changing to maybe 22s in the future and I may be looking around for gears I need some education.
    Are C500s all 12 degees?
    Are the gears different for the split case? Or are they all the same assuming the same drive angle?
    What are the steps to changing the gears or is there already a thread about it?
    Thanks
    Gary

superdave013
    Yes C 500 gears are different then quick change (split case) gears. They are also pressed on the shafts so it's not as easy to change them.
    C 500 gears are harder to find used and bring a lot more $$$ when you do find them. I think a new set is over $700 these days. OUCH!!

83nordic
    They are all 12 degree to the best of my knowledge, they are different from split case gears and a pain in the rear to change. The gears have to be pressed on and off and the box has to be assembled to check the lash, then press off and on after machining the spacer to adjust. I just helped my V-drive guru with mine, the gears ( used ) can be hard to find so keep an eye out for the 22s and be ready to jump when you find them. You have to clean everything well and use anaerobic sealant on the splines of the shaft to keep them from leaking. I am sure Casale has some instructions. I would be happy to help when you get to that point.
    John

EXTREMEBOATS
    A bit more info on the C-500 or as some know it "square box". There were two versions, The 12* and the "square box" It also was a top loader but it was paralell shaft arangement. The shaft angel was matched by the driveshaft to the engine. The strut was installed and the v-drive aligned to it. By useing a two piece drive shaft between the engine and box it solved the problem. Not fiction but fact!!! My first V-Drive boat was a 62 rayson craft set up this way with a 392 hemi running off the front of the engine. I researched this boat as far back as I could to find out it was one of very limited number of Raysons built like this back then. Hope this helps some how. One thing for sure "gears" are rare and costly. Mike

GofastRacer
    A bit more info on the C-500 or as some know it "square box". There were two versions, The 12* and the "square box" It also was a top loader but it was paralell shaft arangement. The shaft angel was matched by the driveshaft to the engine. The strut was installed and the v-drive aligned to it. By useing a two piece drive shaft between the engine and box it solved the problem. Not fiction but fact!!! My first V-Drive boat was a 62 rayson craft set up this way with a 392 hemi running off the front of the engine. I researched this boat as far back as I could to find out it was one of very limited number of Raysons built like this back then. Hope this helps some how. One thing for sure "gears" are rare and costly. Mike
    To eliminate confusion here, the C 500 and Top Loader are two different animals, only thing in common are the gears are pressed in both!..
    C 500
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...04/12C_500.jpg
    Top Loader!.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...Top_Loader.jpg

EXTREMEBOATS
    Art again your the man. I forget to many details at such late or early hour. I've heard the early box called a c-500 and I know thats not much of a excuse, I beg for your forgiveness O Great one.. :supp: But I did teach you about the 0* V-drive so maybe you'll go easy on me??? :hammer2: Mike

olbiezer
    whats the progression of casale v drives anyway what was the first popular v drive the square box then the c 500 then splitcase or what?

Originals were all top loaders.
    Then came the split cases (too many variations to list)
    And around the same time the C-500 and C-1000 which are just heavier boxes originally designed for larger boats. C500's have 2 case halves but no center plate (although can be converted with machining).
    For my money I'd never use a C500 rigging a new boat. Too labor intensive to work on and also expensive just to do something simple like a gear change. A split case fitted with heavy duty gears and top quality shafts won't break even with big power (most vdrive ski racers use these). (I should say won't break any more than a C-500, they do break as anything will eventually).

GofastRacer
    Art again your the man. I forget to many details at such late or early hour. I've heard the early box called a c-500 and I know thats not much of a excuse, I beg for your forgiveness O Great one.. :supp: But I did teach you about the 0* V-drive so maybe you'll go easy on me??? :hammer2: Mike
    No problemo there good buddy, and now I beg your forgivness for I have forgotten the lesson you gave me on the "0* V-Drive", please enlighten me!.. :frown:

bocco
    OK, so now looking at the the diagram for the C500. It looks like you have to split the case open to change the gears. Can you change the gears while leaving the case mounted in the boat? Can I just take the gears with the shafts to a machine shop and have them press off the old and press on the new? Then reasemble. Is there shimming involved?
    Thanks
    Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast