Thread: My Drive Doesnt go up!!

bobbrown@dwim.net
    Hello. I just today picked up my 1994 crownline with a merc 454 and bravo 1 outdrive. I went to put it in the water and realized the outdrive would only go down. it wont come up. I cant seem to find a fuse box but a friend said there isnt one because it has resetable circuits. The batteries are fully charged. I know the dealer just put in a new control box. Please help if you can. thanks

bordsmnj
    common prob =bad soliniod on trim pump. will it go up with the trailer switch? if not the solinoid is the first place i'd look. they go for about 80 bucksthere's two soliniods one for up and one for down.the big blue and white wire should be goin' to the up soliniod. green and white should go to down soliniod.

spectras only
    It could be a bad solenoid , but before you running to get a replacement , try unplugging the wiring harness to the trim pump :idea: .
    Spray the contacts with an electronic contact cleaner like neutrol , or use WD-40 . Plug/unplug a few times to remove corrosion or tarnish. Hope you won't need a new part .

Akamatsu
    Hello. I just today picked up my 1994 crownline with a merc 454 and bravo 1 outdrive. I went to put it in the water and realized the outdrive would only go down. it wont come up. I cant seem to find a fuse box but a friend said there isnt one because it has resetable circuits. The batteries are fully charged. I know the dealer just put in a new control box. Please help if you can. thanks
    This may be a stupid question, but do you know how the trim works? I just want to make sure you are not trying to trim up to raise the drive?
    I could see putting the drive down a little bit and then trying to trim it back up and it not working, as you are well above the trim limit? There is often an additional switch/button that needs to be hit to raise the drive. I don't know your boating level or experience with I/O's so I figured I'd throw out the basic stuff first.
    How far did you put the drive down? Did you launch or get scared and leave it on the trailer?

CB1
    The connections on the trim might be bad, like someone said before, try spraying them first and a cleaning. If that dosent work it might be your switch, I had the same problem and the wiring harness to the switch had a cut in it. A mechanic can plug a new switch into the harness and tell you in less then 5 mins, worst case its your solinoid. Good luck..

CB1
    Also when they replaced the control box, they might not have replaced the connections correctly.

sdpm
    Trim limit switch or wires from the limit switch. Does the trailer switch work? If it does then this is the problem.

UnionJack
    When I touch the trim my drive moves fine.... maybe you should try the little blue Pill

desertbird
    Check the trim limit switch. IN fact, you'll see the wire on the up side actually connects twice in and out of the transom harness. Bypass the limit switch and then try to go up. :idea:

Up 4 River
    I know mine did that after I bought it a couple of years ago. Sometimes air would get in the lines and by bleeding the lines and refilling the outdrive reserve it worked again with no problems. Just my experience. Good luck fxing it.