Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i need some help with tuning

Squirtin Thunder
    Dave,
    What is your cam timing ??? Did you get a early 429 timing set or a late model 460 set ??? Glowing headers are a sign of not enough timing or too rich. So step the jets back on the carb to stock setup. What power valve are you running ??? Did you check the vacuum to see if that is the right power valve for your application ??? I don't remember the cam you have so I am totally guessing here. Where the headers the same color as the block ??? How much oil pressure do you get and are you running a stock pump ??? Is it steady or does it wave at you ??? I am happy for you.
    Jim

dave186
    ok, i tried to mess around with this thing today and now i have 0 oil pressure. yesterday it had 60 at idle. i pulled the distributor and spun the pump with a drill, nothing on the gauge but when i stoped i could hear oil draining back into the pan. i pulled the sensor out of the port and oil came out but not like it did before. im pretty sure i got a bottom end problem.
    im never building a motor again.

Hallett19
    ok, i tried to mess around with this thing today and now i have 0 oil pressure. yesterday it had 60 at idle. i pulled the distributor and spun the pump with a drill, nothing on the gauge but when i stoped i could hear oil draining back into the pan. i pulled the sensor out of the port and oil came out but not like it did before. im pretty sure i got a bottom end problem.
    Dont give up that easy, building motors is easy .... usually. My second time building my 460 I have been pretty succesfull so far, welcome to the joys of owning a boat

Squirtin Thunder
    Dave give me a call !!!
    Jim
    928-704-1158

Headers glowing red especially in low light situation is fairly normal and not necessarily a sign of a problem.

dave186
    the headers glowing, im pretty much not concerned about at this point. i hooked up the water lines so its not an issue any more.
    now i need to find out where my oil pressure went. anyone have any ideas, im not hearing any knocking from the motor, but im not gonna go run it with no oil pressure to find out. i have a cheap wal mart oil filter on it for break in and was thinking maybe its a POS but when i spun the pump with a drill it seemed to have no load on it. i could also hear oil draining back into the pan. could someone explain the oiling system on these BBFs?

Squirtin Thunder
    the headers glowing, im pretty much not concerned about at this point. i hooked up the water lines so its not an issue any more.
    now i need to find out where my oil pressure went. anyone have any ideas, im not hearing any knocking from the motor, but im not gonna go run it with no oil pressure to find out. i have a cheap wal mart oil filter on it for break in and was thinking maybe its a POS but when i spun the pump with a drill it seemed to have no load on it. i could also hear oil draining back into the pan. could someone explain the oiling system on these BBFs?
    Dave,
    You should call. It almost sounds like your drill is going the wrong way :idea:

NELSON#109
    i too think ur turning the pump the wrong way... wont hurt anything, but try it both ways for a minute n see what happens. ive run my boats with dry headers at night and they are bright orange... timing at 36 degrees. they are glowin with them running fat or lean.

dave186
    not turning the drill the wrong way, i tried it both ways. something is messed up in there, i just dont know what.

Squirtin Thunder
    not turning the drill the wrong way, i tried it both ways. something is messed up in there, i just dont know what.
    Gosh darn it Dave !!! Pull the pan, change the pump and screen. While the pan is off pull the front timing cover, check all little oil galley plugs and don't forget the one behind the distributor shaft.
    Jim

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast