Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: i need some help with tuning

SmokinLowriderSS
    Just for the heck of it, I'd pull a main bearing cap or 2 to check for wear signs. I rebuilt the diesel in my truck (84 ford) and it propmtly wiped out most of my lower end bearings on the ring-seating process the first drive. Leakage from excessive gaps at my bearings is eating up all my oil flow to generate any decent pressure. I'm replacing all my main & rod bearings tomorow. Don't give up on DIY, my 454 rebuild in my Taylor SS is breaking in beautifully.

dave186
    the pump and pickup are new, im thinking it has to be a plug or something somewhere. cause it didnt make any abnormal noises, not that i would be able to hear them over the exhaust anyway, and it just happened suddenly. i plan on pulling it on wednesday and seeing what is going on. even if one bearing was completly gone, i would still have some pressure right? hell, maybe i forgot to tighten the oil pump bolts. :hammerhea

dave186
    while we are talking about BBF oiling, what is the little tower looking thing with two plugs in it in the lifter valley?

bottom feeder
    Dave:
    If you need a hand pm me or call at work 208-887-3428. Allways willing to help a fellow boater.
    Best regards
    Brian

dave186
    thanks for the offer man, i got some stuff to do this morning then im going to borrow the boom truck from work again and yank it out. its all ready, just gotta pull the motor mount bolts.

dave186
    ok, i have the motor out and hanging from the boom truck. i pulled the pan before i put it on the stand because i was to anxious to find out whats going on and nothing seems wrong in the bottom end. i havent pulled any bearing caps but im pretty sure they arent whats going on here. i pulled the timing cover and checked all the plugs and they were fine. my next step was to hold a bucket of oil up to the pickup and then spin the pump with a drill. oil comes gushing out somewhere above the crank around the back two cylinders. it seems like way to much volume of oil to be a dead cam bearing, are there any plugs up in that area or something? i guess i will have to tear deeper inside. also, i didnt find anything in the oil pan or any bearing material in the filter.

Squirtin Thunder
    ok, i have the motor out and hanging from the boom truck. i pulled the pan before i put it on the stand because i was to anxious to find out whats going on and nothing seems wrong in the bottom end. i havent pulled any bearing caps but im pretty sure they arent whats going on here. i pulled the timing cover and checked all the plugs and they were fine. my next step was to hold a bucket of oil up to the pickup and then spin the pump with a drill. oil comes gushing out somewhere above the crank around the back two cylinders. it seems like way to much volume of oil to be a dead cam bearing, are there any plugs up in that area or something? i guess i will have to tear deeper inside. also, i didnt find anything in the oil pan or any bearing material in the filter.
    I believe there are three around the cam !!!
    I will check and be right back !!!

Squirtin Thunder
    Dave,
    There are two behind the cam. But we need to talk !!!
    Thanks
    Jim
    928-704-1158

SmokinLowriderSS
    Ummmmm Don't know why this didn't occur to me earlier ... but ...........
    Your spinning the oil pump with the drill .... do you have one of those special drives that blocks off the oil passage feeding the distributor bushings?
    If not, a LOT of oil just pours out of the block right through the distributor gallery past your oil pump drive rod and you can't possibly pump enough to get any oil pressure to measure.

dave186
    well, it had plenty of pressure before when i spun it with the drill.
    jim, what do you mean behind the cam? i looked at another block i have laying around and only saw two on the front and two on the back. i will call you tommorow if i have time, maybe at lunch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast