Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: jet efficiency

SB
    There is a chart comparing jet efficiency to props in Yachting May 2001 p.28. Article states what we pretty much knew, jets are the most efficient propulsion, but only within a narrow rpm range. Maybe I'll send this over to Mercruiser. I don't want people to think I read Yachting all the time, but what the heck, a guy can dream. Just out of curiousity, anybody on this board running jets with twin diesels or turbines in a yacht costing over half a million? Heh, heh.

froggystyle
    Yeah, actually my Mead ride is a 84' Outer Banks with a set of Allison v-12's and pumps. Oh, wait. That was the dream with all the Sweedish bikini team on the boat giving out cocktails.
    Never mind, I forgot, we're all poor. Except for River Dave with his Schiada http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif

spectras only
    SB, I don't own a 1/2 mil boat ,but a guy down from my house has a 38 Magnum with twin turbocharged Man Diesels and KaMaWa jets.No they are not efficient when that big,but safe to run in waters like British Columbia's rivers full of deadheads[from logging operations].This boat had shafts before [3" diameters]and used to get bent out of shape while running up to Rivers Inlet ,where he's got a fishing lodge.He spent 1/2 mil just to convert to jets.Awsome boats ,made in Florida by Ted Theodoli.By the way, our previous government {NDP}built some fast ferries with jets,capable carrying 300cars are for sale now,because it was a failure [reliability,fuel economy,500mil overbudgeted].Line up guys ,you may get one for 50 mil[bargain for the size]heh.
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited June 12, 2001).]

mister460
    Hey Spectras! Been down to Washington lately? Just curious! I'll be coming up that way in August. We should go for a cruise! Unfortunately I'm gonna leave my boat down here in Cali. Way cheaper to fly! I'm starting the convert to a Berk drive today so wish me luck! Later! BTW, I thought that "fast ferry" thing got put in service! I remember it going over budget but last I heard (this was about 2 1/2 years ago, mind you) they were gonna keep it anyways. Because they'd already spent so much money on it y'know. Think they'd part them out? A jet bigger than my whole boat! I'd like to at least have one just so I could say that I did!

spectras only
    Mister ,those boats are mothballed right now so make your bid hehe.I should be around in august,give me a call in advance when you're going to be in Washington and we can hitch a ride in my boat.Also if you haven't been in the Okanagan you should make time to visit.I go there often in the summer,so you could tag along.

SeaSlut
    I know you guys must have seen this...
    http://www.boats.dt.navy.mil/pg2/MK5.htm
    http://www.chinfo.navy.mil/navpalib/.../boat-mkv.html
    Jets really do rule

spectras only
    Yes,wouldn't have to worry about dinging it.

froggystyle
    Seaslut, if you ever want a ride, let me know. Those SBU guys ferry me around for a living. Those boats are built to insert us with some Zodiacs. I've been in the MKV going 55 knots over some pretty good swells.

spectras only
    Froggy ,have you heard of Vospers or Thornycrafts? Those tubs go 85.

MellowYelloW
    you guys ever see the excursion boats on the rougue river...they start out in grants pass and go all the was down the river like 40 miles or something. some run dual motors and jets and they haul ass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast