Thread: Resin and below zero temps

DEL51
    I have a 55 gal drum of vinylester resin that is half full.Can I keep this in my garage over the winter?If it will affect it,in what way?Also, what about gelcoat that is in 5 gal bucket? Both drum and bucket are sealed.Should I store these in my basement?Thanks,DEL51
    [This message has been edited by DEL51 (edited October 19, 2001).]

mister460
    It's a good idea to keep it cool but not too cold. If it freezes it will be ruined. Just keep it above freezing. I used to keep all my stuff in an old fridge and it worked good.

HavasuBarney
    I don't know much about the vinyl, but I'm certain on the gel, if it's good quality gel it should be fine below freezing.
    I have had gel in a freezer for over a year, it is a thick mud consistency, when it warms, thins right down.
    Used some last week, no problem.
    Heat is a problem!
    I would guess the resin would be good, but not sure. Normally the higher quality materials are more stable, and vinyl, that's the good chit there.

Wet Dream
    Most usable chemicals will have a storage guide on the label. Some are not allowed to be stored below 50 degs. Check it out. Temperature will adversely affect the bond/ composition of chemical mixtures.

DEL51
    Thanks for the input.I checked the label on the resin and it didn't mention anything about cold storage.It did say to keep it below 77 degrees.I will try to contact a distributor and see if they know anything.