Thread: Rudder Stuffing Box Tolerance?

bondsman
    For the second time, does anybody have any idea how much rudder play is acceptable before you should replace the stuffing box and/or rudder? Thanks.

OK I'll bite
    Personally I hate any play in my rudder.
    In my old Hondo I bit the bullit & had a new rudder & stuffing box installed. The first time out all the chrome peeled off the rudder, including the shaft section. Which of course reduced the O.D.. It then shook, & it seemed everytime I took it out it got worse, drove me nuts. Boat did mid 80 mph.
    The new boat has potential to be quicker. During the build I did not hesitate or worry about the cost. I got a really trick stuffing box from Bergeron. The box has delhrin inserts which can be replaced. I then got a new rudder, no chrome. I have only but a total of 40 gals of fuel throught the new boat, but so far this is a great set up.
    Don't know how much play is acceptable. But that's my deal.
    Morg.

bondsman
    Hey.....Morg, you're a brave man. Thank you for the advise! I going to buy a new stuffing box and check the rudder fit. I acquired an canyon race boat that needs a little T.L.C. Probably have more questions.
    Thank you.

BA Kurtis
    For the second time, does anybody have any idea how much rudder play is acceptable before you should replace the stuffing box and/or rudder? Thanks.
    I am with Morg on the 0 play on rudder, I also had a chrome plated rudder and it is NFG I just replaced it, Canyon marine has the best deal, good luck

GofastRacer
    Chrome is a big NO NO on any underwater hardware, also off the shelf stuffing boxes are never a perfect fit, I always put a sleeve in them. If yours is worn just sleeve it!..

bondsman
    Thanks for the response guys!