Thread: Check Out This Motor

franky
    If any of you were at Red Bluff last weekend and saw the Lucas Oil TFH (the red one with the big f'in turbos) go kaboom mid track, I posted pictures of the Alan Johnson Block/Heads in Image Center, Gearheads, Motors, Alan Johnson 1-4 by Franky. Could someone post for me?
    Check out what happens when a flame wants out bad (lower right corner Cyl 7). Looks like a plasma cutter job, heads the same way. Improper fuel management causes big damage and costs BIG money.
    Thought these billet pieces were nice though. Check out the intake port compared to my fist, you can drop a tennis ball through them. 3,300 HP.

steelcomp
    If any of you were at Red Bluff last weekend and saw the Lucas Oil TFH (the red one with the big f'in turbos) go kaboom mid track, I posted pictures of the Alan Johnson Block/Heads in Image Center, Gearheads, Motors, Alan Johnson 1-4 by Franky. Could someone post for me?
    Check out what happens when a flame wants out bad (lower right corner Cyl 7). Looks like a plasma cutter job, heads the same way. Improper fuel management causes big damage and costs BIG money.
    Thought these billet pieces were nice though. Check out the intake port compared to my fist, you can drop a tennis ball through them. 3,300 HP.
    That's not that bad, Franky. You should see what happens to a TF head and block when the flame goes out on nitro!!! Now multiply that times about 20-30 heads a week, all on Monday after the races, and get them all repaired and back out the door by the next Thurs./Friday before race day!! Plus find time in there to do R&D work and develop new heads and valve train. Now they're repairing blocks, too. I was at AJ's Monday, and there were 6 billet blocks on the floor waiting for repair.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center.../2622allen.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...2622allen1.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...2622allen2.JPG
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...2622allen3.JPG

wsuwrhr
    CNC'S are a wonderful thing,
    Brian
    Hemi's are too... :supp: :supp:

franky
    Steelcomp,
    This is something I don't get to see everyday, nice stuff! I forgot your history.
    Guess that is why they (AJ) wants three weeks to fix the head, which won't work for the team since the next race IS in three weeks.

steelcomp
    Steelcomp,
    This is something I don't get to see everyday, nice stuff! I forgot your history.
    Guess that is why they (AJ) wants three weeks to fix the head, which won't work for the team since the next race IS in three weeks.
    It's unfortunate that with that kind of workload, something's gotta give, and usually it's the boat racers. Most of the pro car teams have enough stuff to at least get them into quallifying, so they're not waiting for their only parts, but like I said, even they're getting their stuff on Thurs or Fri before the race. We would start shipping heads out late Wed. afternoon, and it would be madness untill Fri afternoon. Every two weeks this goes on during race season. The damage usually comes from not having a flame. It's called hydraulicing. If there's no spark or combustion, there's a problem. Liquid does not compress, and with the amount of fuel running through those motors, if it dosen't burn, it's gotta go somewhere, and under that kind of pressure, once it breaks the seal, it starts taking material with it. Terry's got a bitchen program going with that turbo deal...saw it at Phoenix and it was gettin with the program.

franky
    Looks like Gary Kincaid might be taking the lead on this since the crew chief gotthe boot following this "better not run the fuel program like that" kaboom. There have been some changes to the boat, bracing, prop location and now there will be some changes (for the better) to the motor that will make this boat a real runner, might be too much for the current driver. The turbos are developing 58 lbs but it takes a while so they are working on a front crank disc brake idea to load the motor and get more boost off the line. Interesting!

steelcomp
    Looks like Gary Kincaid might be taking the lead on this since the crew chief gotthe boot following this "better not run the fuel program like that" kaboom. There have been some changes to the boat, bracing, prop location and now there will be some changes (for the better) to the motor that will make this boat a real runner, might be too much for the current driver. The turbos are developing 58 lbs but it takes a while so they are working on a front crank disc brake idea to load the motor and get more boost off the line. Interesting!
    Are they talking to Rick Head at Innovative Turbo? If not, they should be.
    BTW...just read your first post. If I'm not mistaken, aren't these guys running alky?

bigkatboat
    Externally controled waste gates do work much better than 'crankshaft brakes'. Let go of the rope, rev the motor up, close the gates, BLAST OFF! Then let the gates control boost down the track. You need to run smaller A/R exhaust housings, but it really works well. A computer with (4?) gates and 'before the injectors' safety blow off valve, to keep the boost to a realistic figure. Turbos do work, you just need to "make it work together". Sorry for the 'bad parts day'.

franky
    Are they talking to Rick Head at Innovative Turbo? If not, they should be.
    BTW...just read your first post. If I'm not mistaken, aren't these guys running alky?
    Sorry, you are right on the alky.