Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidewinder Boats

Old Guy
    I used to have a '72 Sidewinder jet boat. It was the smoothest riding boat I ever rode in. I have seen the same (or looked the same) bottom on a few other boats and I have seen boats that looked very much like a copy of the complete boat with a different name. Does anybody (Old Rigger?) know who originated Sidewinder boats? Who copied who?
    old

BiggusJimbus
    Well,
    While I was too young to know all the details, here's what I think I know about this.
    My uncle, Jack VanEk who lived in Redding until sometime in the early eighties built boats for a guy named Jim Lloyd. In '70 or '71 (I was about 6), Jim gave my uncle a motor and pump to build into his own boat.
    Jack has a large family (6 kids) and none of the Tahiti style boats they were building at the time were big enough. So, he took that 16' Tahiti mold, splashed it, lengthened it, widened it and updated the deck and knocked out the first sidewinder. That first boat had no windshield like the later ones did.
    I'm going to ask my dad to scout around through his pictures to see if he has any pictures of this boat. I vaguely remember it as a 2 tone orange affair with a Ford 390 motor. I'll find out about those details as well.
    What happened with the name and molds is unknown to me. I will have to ask Jack next time I see him, as I am now curious as to the facts as to how this all came about. I'll also ask him the name of Jim Lloyd's company. I know Jack, and his son John later worked for Marlin, which is why they moved on up to Oregon.
    Anyway. Probably not as many answers as you would like, but a bit of heresay history can be interesting.
    Jim.
    [ July 03, 2003, 10:14 AM: Message edited by: BiggusJimbus ]

Old Guy
    Thanks Jim, I had a feeling that there was a lot of splashing going on with somebody's hull design. I have always wondered where the design originated and where "it" went after that.
    old

great story jim.
    old guy, that old bottom on the 16 Tahiti, and countless copys, originally was a glastron bottom. Dick Schuster and his first employee, Gil Gaska, took that Glastron bottom, cut it down and added the SK style deck. This was in 64. My dad started to work for Dick in 66. That sidewinder deck was also built for the 16 too, and there was a lawsuit over Schuster using it on the Tahiti.
    Tahiti also had the larger 18 foot v-bottom with the wraparound windshield like Jim mentioned. I have pics of the first one, Tahitis first I mean, at the river at my dads place in 71 or 72. Great riding boat, lots of room. Wouldn't mind having one of those today. This one had all white tuck and roll interior and a 2 tone blue flake gel.

BiggusJimbus
    I'm going to talk to my dad this week.
    I am sure that there are picture of that boat around. I'll see if I can score them and scan them.
    Maybe get a few details about all of this.
    Jim.

BiggusJimbus
    Double post.
    That was odd.
    [ July 03, 2003, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: BiggusJimbus ]

BiggusJimbus
    Now,
    Was Dick Schuster's company Bell Industries? Or was that a later (or earlier) owner of Tahiti?

In a nut shell,
    Dick sold Tahiti to Bell in the late 60's. He stayed on a president of the company and Bell put in place a bean counter named Groom to oversee things. Together they started Hawaiian through the back door of Tahiti. Originaly Hawaiians were called Tiki Boats and we even built 30 or 40 of them. A huge lawsuit followed the start up of Tiki forcing the name change and sending Groom off to prison. Dick stayed out of the joint. Later after the gas crunch of the late 70s and early 80s, Hawaiian went tits up along with alot of other shops.
    Dick bought Sun Ray boats for his kids to have something to do. Never heard, or cared, what became of Groom.

sidewound
    Cool Post.
    I got one. eek!
    [img]http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/114Super_18_Jet.jpg[/img]
    Doug sent me this. Thanks!!! I would also like any information on the rise and fall of this hull. From what I've accertained the last place they were built was north of me in Minnesota.
    How bout some of you lurking sidewinder owners. SIDEWAZ? Doug? Frank? Any input?
    Peace Man
    CESAR

Old Guy
    Great information guys. When I was restoring mine about 15 years ago, I wanted to get some new chrome nameplates 'cause the one's that were on it were both broken. As I recall (not always perfect), I was told that Sidewinder boats were being manufactured by Thompson Boat Co. I called them and was told that the nameplates had been replaced with vinyl decals so I didn't get any. I was also told that they were only making Sidewinder I/O's, no jets.
    old

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast