Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: River Cruiser Wanted

cole13
    Its a really nice boat. I'm not a big fan of the double step bow or the doghouse seating, but it is the colors I was hoping to find and the price is good. I've just started looking and was originally looking for more of a spectra or schiada but the longer I look the less picky I get. I'll keep it in mind.
    Is it a 23'?
    Patience is a Virture. You will find exactly what you are looking for and at the right price. If I were you I would narrow it down to a couple of Hulls (years, makes, power plant, etc...) then start looking for those only. If you take the shot gun apporach you are going to get discouraged. I have a buddy who just bought an incredible Hallett Jet boat for the price you are looking at. His boat would eat up any chop Havasu threw at it, and it carrys 8 people, and the gel coat is amazing. IMHO, I would go with a Hallett or COLE ( but I am biased), there are a lot of nice hulls out there. Like I said pick the ones you like and then go from there. The amount of money you have to buy one really opens a lot of doors.
    Ok I am getting carried away, but I have seen people just buy a boat and not have thier intended use in mind. If you are going to be wakeboarding, skiing mostly then you want a boat to fit that need. If you want to just look cool and go fast, then that is a different type boat.
    Just my opinion!!

Jetdriver
    How about a 1990 21' Proboat.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...79P1010109.jpg
    Pm me if interested!
    Shawn

MILKMAN351
    Patience is a Virture. You will find exactly what you are looking for and at the right price. If I were you I would narrow it down to a couple of Hulls (years, makes, power plant, etc...) then start looking for those only. If you take the shot gun apporach you are going to get discouraged. I have a buddy who just bought an incredible Hallett Jet boat for the price you are looking at. His boat would eat up any chop Havasu threw at it, and it carrys 8 people, and the gel coat is amazing. IMHO, I would go with a Hallett or COLE ( but I am biased), there are a lot of nice hulls out there. Like I said pick the ones you like and then go from there. The amount of money you have to buy one really opens a lot of doors.
    Ok I am getting carried away, but I have seen people just buy a boat and not have thier intended use in mind. If you are going to be wakeboarding, skiing mostly then you want a boat to fit that need. If you want to just look cool and go fast, then that is a different type boat.
    Just my opinion!!
    Thanks for the info, I really like the Hallett vector 21' but have seen none in my price range, I've also been leaning towards the classic river cruiser Schiada/Spectra/Howard hulls. Any would do because they all have the classic look I like. My trouble is I haven't decided on jet or v-drive and I'm picky on color and have no idea what costs are involved in re-spraying gel or adding color to a boat that doesn't exactly have the colors I want. I would even be happy to find just the hull and drive as long as I had enough left over to build a motor. My uncle would build the motor for me so I would just need to by the parts. It's hard to be patient, I feel I might miss out on something if I pass it by just because it's not exactly what I want when everyone else says its a good deal, like corleone17's continental.

cole13
    Thanks for the info, I really like the Hallett vector 21' but have seen none in my price range, I've also been leaning towards the classic river cruiser Schiada/Spectra/Howard hulls. Any would do because they all have the classic look I like. My trouble is I haven't decided on jet or v-drive and I'm picky on color and have no idea what costs are involved in re-spraying gel or adding color to a boat that doesn't exactly have the colors I want. I would even be happy to find just the hull and drive as long as I had enough left over to build a motor. My uncle would build the motor for me so I would just need to by the parts. It's hard to be patient, I feel I might miss out on something if I pass it by just because it's not exactly what I want when everyone else says its a good deal, like corleone17's continental.
    Schiada's are pretty pricey. That is what I was looking for before we bought the COLE. Jet Vs. V-Drive, is something you have to figure out. Regarding saftey, IT ALL COMES DOWN TO THE DRIVER. You are not going to start a jet with someone in the water so why would you start a V-Drive. WIth the same horsepower, v-drives are faster, if that is what you are looking for. I use my boat on the Lower Colorado where it can be pretty shallow, so I chose a jet. Color does not matter, especially if the family is having a great time. And remember to, once the boat is on the water the color may look perfect. For some reason, when looking at a boat on the trailer and then in the water. It is totally different.
    Hope this helps. oh, Howards, COLE, Schiada, Hallett are all really nice boats. I am kinda partial to the guys who only produce a limited number of boats per year. Excluding Hallett but it is just a really nice hull.

flat broke
    Out of curiosity, what color tickles your fancy? Corleone's boat is a freaking steal, and should have sold long ago. If a white base is agreeable to you, it wouldn't cost that much to change some of the other colors around. If your thinking you want a project, PM Blown Spectra here on the boards, he has a spectra 20 with a white base, pacalon(woodgrain) and red trim. The hull just had 4 new stringers installed, an intake/shoe/rideplate setup installed by MPD, and I think he has a Legend pump for it. I don't know exactly what he's looking for, but if it's close to what I think it is, you could have it color sanded, buy all the little billet goodies from Rex, and get a pretty nice interior done for it for around what your looking to spend on a turn key deal.
    Chris

MILKMAN351
    Out of curiosity, what color tickles your fancy? Corleone's boat is a freaking steal, and should have sold long ago. If a white base is agreeable to you, it wouldn't cost that much to change some of the other colors around. If your thinking you want a project, PM Blown Spectra here on the boards, he has a spectra 20 with a white base, pacalon(woodgrain) and red trim. The hull just had 4 new stringers installed, an intake/shoe/rideplate setup installed by MPD, and I think he has a Legend pump for it. I don't know exactly what he's looking for, but if it's close to what I think it is, you could have it color sanded, buy all the little billet goodies from Rex, and get a pretty nice interior done for it for around what your looking to spend on a turn key deal.
    Chris
    As far as the color goes I like franky's schiada (white w/ red/silver/grey). My Expedition is red and grey and it would kill me to pull something behind it that didn't go, I'm super meticulous and anal when it comes to something like that. I will be getting a Ford Superduty truck when the new ones come out in '07 and it will be silver which will match a lot more. I guess as long as the boat goes with the truck I can handle towing it with the Expedition for a year or two. I just cant stand browns/beiges and 90's pastels. I could have bought my dad's super clean hardly driven 502 powered Eliminator 24' Edge for a steal but I couldn't handle the hot pink on it hense my hesitation on corleone's boat. Woodgrain or yellow I'm on the fence about, It really depends on how its used. By the way, I keep seeing people talk about spectras/schiadas in 20', 21', and 22'. Did they really make all these lengths? I would think the longer the better. I've got some pretty big guys as friends and am gonna need all the interior room I can get.

superdave013
    better tripple (or more) your budget if you want a schiada even remotly close to Franky's.
    To put it in perspective a friend just got a new schiada and has over 60K in it less engine.
    I ended up with an older one and spent double your budget so far getting it back in shape. I should have just bucked up and got a new one.
    A guy could get Corleone's boat. Drop it off with Toddnjuzz to have the pink changed to what ever and end up with a very sano ride. It's not a schiada 21 and never will be. But it's a very nice boat and for the coin is a great buy I think.

flat broke
    As far as the color goes I like franky's schiada (white w/ red/silver/grey). My Expedition is red and grey and it would kill me to pull something behind it that didn't go, I'm super meticulous and anal when it comes to something like that. I will be getting a Ford Superduty truck when the new ones come out in '07 and it will be silver which will match a lot more. I guess as long as the boat goes with the truck I can handle towing it with the Expedition for a year or two. I just cant stand browns/beiges and 90's pastels. I could have bought my dad's super clean hardly driven 502 powered Eliminator 24' Edge for a steal but I couldn't handle the hot pink on it hense my hesitation on corleone's boat. Woodgrain or yellow I'm on the fence about, It really depends on how its used. By the way, I keep seeing people talk about spectras/schiadas in 20', 21', and 22'. Did they really make all these lengths? I would think the longer the better. I've got some pretty big guys as friends and am gonna need all the interior room I can get.
    Schiada - 20, 21, and 22. The 20 is a tight fit for 4 big guys, the 21 has about the same interior space as a Spectra 20(I'll get to that in a minute), and the 22 has a little more freeboard than a Schiada 21 with its more old school tooling.
    Spectra - 18, 19 and 20. The 18 is a downsized daycruiser, similar in cockpit space to the Schiada 20, but a smaller boat overal. The 19 is a low profile GN looking hull with about the same amount of interior space as the 18, but with less freeboard. The spectra 20 measures in 20' 10", so its similar in size and freeboard to the Schiada 21 RC, The hull has a slightly slacker deadrise angle which will make for a potentially rougher ride in big chop, but has been debated to be faster on the top end with big power in a V-drive (probably due to less wetted area as a result of the shallower V at the transom).
    The Schiada 21 RC is the quintessential badass river rod that everyone wants and no one has. For that reason, finding one with colors like Franky's even at 4 times the amount of your current budget and far less desireable power and rigging options, is going to be near impossible. Spectras are far more plentiful because there were more of them made. Through the 70s and early 80s they cranked out a lot of these boats, and to their testament many have endured the test of time and neglect by owners fairly well in terms of structural integrity. Bottom line, they are both good hulls, one has a higher resale value than the other, but in terms of strength and utility they are near equals with the edge going to Schiada only because you can find them newer than Spectras, and in my opinion, the deck on the 21 RC looks better than the Specra.
    One more note. If you opt to go with jet propulsion for one of these, you will be VERY hard pressed to find a Schiada. Whereas Spectras will be mostly setup with jets. Either way, make no mistake these hulls (Schiada or Spectra) take tons of power to haul ass with a jet.
    Where does all of this get you? Buy Corleone's boat, and if the color is just that big of an issue to you, cal Salvador at Orange County boat repair to get a quote and changing the blue to red, and swapping out the other colors on the deck for something else.
    Chris

MILKMAN351
    better tripple (or more) your budget if you want a schiada even remotly close to Franky's.
    To put it in perspective a friend just got a new schiada and has over 60K in it less engine.
    I ended up with an older one and spent double your budget so far getting it back in shape. I should have just bucked up and got a new one.
    A guy could get Corleone's boat. Drop it off with Toddnjuzz to have the pink changed to what ever and end up with a very sano ride. It's not a schiada 21 and never will be. But it's a very nice boat and for the coin is a great buy I think.
    yes I know franky's is out of my league but I was referring to the question flat broke asked me about color. I've e-mailed and pm'd corleone and if I don't hear from him I'll call him. I'll be in Vegas this weekend and could go take a look at the boat. Do you know how much it would cost to screw with the color on it?

superdave013
    PM Toddnjuzz about it. That's what he does and he does it very well.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast