Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: My 8 year old son wrote a story

FMluvswater
    I'm very proud of my son. He's an amazing child. He was diagnosed with autism at 19 months old.
    He didn't start talking until he was 3 (39 months according to our journal entry). There were times
    I despaired he'd ever communicate socially or creatively. He's come a long way. :smile: Many people
    are surprised to learn he is autistic, because he presents on first impression as a typical 8 year old boy.
    He still has a few challenges but he's really doing great. :smile:
    He's in an integrated classroom in third grade and has a special student assistant to help him throughout
    his day at school with any difficulties that arise. Jacob also has a developmental co-ordination disorder.
    The combination of the two challenges has made handwritten work a very frustrating task for him. He
    labors so much over the formation of each individual letter that he loses his creative train of thought. As a
    result, much of his handwritten works have been short, terse sentences, often unrelated to each other and
    bearing no indication of inner thought processes. Recently, Jacob has been granted the occasional use of a
    computer to complete some of his written work. The difference between what he wrote at a keyboard compared
    to what he typically writes with paper and pencil floored us all! :supp:
    I'm so impressed I wanted to share his story with you all. :smile:
    Jacob okayed that idea (his goal in life is to be famous, lol! ) He's on his way to that already too; his story
    appeared in his school's June newsletter as a space filler. One of only two stories that did.
    The following note (from Jacob's in-class student assistant) was stapled to Jacob's printed out story and sent
    home with him.
    Take a look at Jacob's writing. I think it's terrific! Jacob definitely finds it easier to do written work on the computer.
    Jay
    Wed May 18 '05
    Here is the story transcribed exactly as it was written by my son ...
    Jacob's Zoo of Fabulous Amazing Animals
    I have 4 animals I take care of. I have one set of Sea Monkeys (brime shrimp), 2 cats, Samantha and
    Gordie and six snails in 1 container (only the snails are in the container I was talking about). Here are the
    profiles about the four pets I have:
    The Sea Monkeys:
    The sea monkeys start breeding at 3 to 5 weeks old. Right now they are 4 weeks old but are small. I know
    that they will problarery grow a little big.
    Samantha:
    Samantha is a bit of a nasty cat. Although she is a bit of a nasty cat she is rather a sweet cat as long as you
    don't follow her around and/or pick her up(else she will hiss and scratch at you(she always hisses at you
    least 11 times before). She is all black and has yellow eyes.
    Gordie:
    Gordie is nice cat. He doesn't like being picked up, although all he'll do about it is minow at my zia. Gordie
    has long, vanilla white fur. He always looses his fur and leaves it behind wherever he goes. Gordie is a bit
    skinny. He loves dry and wet cat treats, the wet ones come in small cans(the treats in them are all fixed
    together in one) and the dry ones come in medium sized bags of little treats.
    The Six Snails:
    I have six garden snails. They are milti colored: black, yellow and brown are the main colors. the snails
    feed on grass and clovers. They live in a small container ( big compaired to them) that sits in my bedroom
    on top of my bookshelf. The cats do not get at them.
    All in all my most favorite animal is Gordie. Gordie is so nice, he will let me pick him up and put him on
    my stomach. I do enjoy all my animals but Gordie by far is my most favorite pet. That is it, my zoo is
    complete.
    Jacob, age 8 1/2, Grade 3
    FYI : minow is Jacob's phonetic interpretation of "meow" and
    zia is what he calls his step-mom.
    Did I mention I'm proud of him?

That's very good FM and its amazing (and fantastic) he can do that on the computer but not by hand.
    I'm kind of hoping Tom Brown doesn't pick up on the Sea Monkey part though.

FMluvswater
    That's very good FM and its amazing (and fantastic) he can do that on the computer but not by hand.
    I'm kind of hoping Tom Brown doesn't pick up on the Sea Monkey part though.
    Mike, by hand it takes him close to 10 minutes to print a three word sentence. He typed that up in less than an hour. :smile:
    I hear ya about Tom, he'll be so disillusioned once he reads the facts about Sea Monkeys. Poor Tom.

promod
    god bless him, he must be real smart to do that in less than an hour its only going to get better

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Wow!! I am so happy that they found a way to help him write his thoughts out. That is great news. He must be thrilled.

MagicMtnDan
    FM, it's great that you found out about your son's ability to express himself using the computer. I hope he can continue using it to overcome his limitations with handwriting.

riverbound
    Wow....That is good to hear that your son is doin gso well. At first I thought I was going to read soemthing about 3days and the price of fuel again :wink:

Itsahobby
    This is fantastic!! You must be great and proud parents!
    I, too, have a son with autism. It is amazing what these children can do, if givin the right tools.
    Great job!
    Hobby

bunny 166
    He is on the right track!! What a great job he did! His teacher sounds very positive and encouraging, and understanding of his diagnosis. Keep those upbeat folks around--they will do wonders for your son! Good job Mom!!

Blown509Liberator
    FMluvswaterbabe:
    They are amazing are they…. Kids with autism. I married Paula who has 2 sons with autism. The 13 year old is Asburgers and functions very well. And will be attending High school in the fall. The youngest one (8) we see improvements every day. His speech is getting better, yet he still can’t hold a normal conversation with you. His communication is very limited. But this kid can sit at the computer and out type most adults…… We have 6 kids among us Paula with 3 boys and I have three girls. I feel lucky to have ALL of them. And love them ALL the same
    MikeW

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast