Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rpm vs. tunnel

jpeaston
    I had a performer on my 455 with a 600 carter in my 18ft jet boat. when the motor blew I put it back together bored .30 over and bought a tunnel with a single 800 holly, second time around it ran -5mph when I thought it would do +5. I am not a "gearhead" by any means, my uncle who is, went out with me yesterday to make sure timing, vacuum leaks, and general assembly was o.k. in about 10 minutes he got me an additional 4 mph which brings me up to 56, when my old motor hit 61. same hull, same pump, pretty much same weight. what do you guys think. is it the intake? oh, yeah same heads too.

Liberator TJ1984
    You bored .30 over , what is your compression now ??? did you drop a few points ???
    Did you change timing ??

IF everything is the same except the engine displacement, try the 600 Carter on the TR Intake. Depending on your combination, you may be sacrificing lots of torque with a TR AND a large Carb. The smaller Carb will get a better signal and keep the velocity up in the runners, thus negating any loss of torque at your operating rpm, and should get your rpm back plus maybe a couple.

BK
    Your problem is the TR, ditch it and put the performer back on with the Holley 800 carb. Or get a dual top and run a couple of 600's, but definatley get rid of that single carb TR you just asking for trouble (and poor performance) running it..

Taylorman
    Get a dual top for your tunnel ram. I had a single carb on my 455 tunnel ram with a 750 edelbrock. Switched to dual 600 edelbrocks and picked up 200 rpms and it runs much better.
    Kevin

AMEN....BK & Taylor...GET RID OF the TR...the sgl set-up doesnt flow the gas rite on boat mtrs...it works great on drag cars...put the performer & 800cfm on it and go have fun...just my .02 cents worth
    fastrat

Taylorman
    Are you saying to get rid of the tunnel ram totally or get rid of the single carb TR?
    Mine runs just fine with dual carbs. I am getting rid of it pretty soon. Im gonna switch to a single plan intake with a Demon Carb.

jpeaston
    Im gonna try the 600 this weekend, i think I messed up selling the performer manifold. I have a buddy with a dual set up sittin while he's rebuilding, might see if I can borrow it on Sunday and see how it runs, thanks for the help guys, keep the suggestions coming!

BK
    Im gonna try the 600 this weekend, i think I messed up selling the performer manifold. I have a buddy with a dual set up sittin while he's rebuilding, might see if I can borrow it on Sunday and see how it runs, thanks for the help guys, keep the suggestions coming!
    DONT run the 600 on that TR!!!!!!! IMO you'll be asking for trouble by doing that. If your gonna run the single top then definately stick with the bigger carb.

jpeaston
    if I give the 800 one more weekend, what size jets and fuel pressure do think I should be running?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast