Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rpm vs. tunnel

Foggerjet
    TR's were the chit in the 60's with high compression, high revving motors in cars with short gears. They do definately still have their place in the right application, IMO. Intake and carb technology has come a long way in the last 40 yrs. and I believe that the majority of "lake boats" would have the best performance and driveability with a quality open plenum intake and a big ol' Double Pumper. Now, the fast guys, running 100+ probly love a TR, and with good reason. They work for their particular application. I bought a TR at the Charlotte swap meet with 2 660's, linkage, and all assorted crap. My boat was slower, and burned much more gas than the Torker with an 850 HP. No amount of fiddling or tuning could net any speed increases. It ran OK and "felt" fast, But it wasn't. Because it was all wrong for my motor/boat/pump combo.
    fog

BK
    if I give the 800 one more weekend, what size jets and fuel pressure do think I should be running?
    Jetting will depend on your combo. I would start with the stock jetting and go from there. You'll need to get the #'s off the choke horn and go to this site for the stock jetting on your carb.
    Mor Tec (http://www.mortec.com/carbs.htm)
    You should run 7-8psi max at idle with a Holley. Also make sure your running the right power valve, that setup may have a week vacume signal so it important the power valve is opening at the proper time as well.

Infomaniac
    A lot of times you need to jet UP when running a tunnel ram single carb due to such a poor signal. A good signal pulls a lot of fuel. A poor signal needs help delivering fuel so jetting up is generally needed.

jpeaston
    I slapped another fuel pressure guage in and it read 3.5lbs at idle, bumped it to 7lbs, and it ran 57.7mph, the best so far on this motor w/ tunnel ram. Would a switch pertronics ignition sys. help too?

jpeaston
    one more weekend of fiddling with the tr, then I think Im on the market for another performer.
    ??? just came to me.
    my old intake just said performer, all the ones I seen since say either torker or performer rpm, i guessing the torker is better for jetboats with Olds, what do you guys think?

jpeaston
    or is there another intake on the market that would be even better?

BK
    or is there another intake on the market that would be even better?
    Ive heard alot of people running the torker, but mabye thats just what came on alot of the olds's back in the day? I ran a performer rpm on my olds when I had it and was very happy with it.
    If your running a points distributor the yes an electronic dist. would be an upgrade. The pertronix is a good choice or just go with an hei.

EXTREMEBOATS
    The RPM Airgap is a good choice. In my opinion a smaller carb will work better. TR's have way to much plenum volume which makes for poor signal and fuel atomization which will cause all kinds of tuneing greif.In high rpm engines TR's work but under 6000 rpm they lack in performance. A 455ci engine at 6000rpm needs only 800 cfm. So a 750 carb will give you more responce in low and mid range. If you run high rpm all the time the 800 or even a 850 will work best. Point is carb your combination to how you plan to drive it. Matching everything to work together will make your ride a more user friendly and dependable. "well thats what im told" Mike

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm running a performer rpm air gap and it does it's job well. I'm running a lakeboat that earns it's keep towing kids toys but has to have good top-end muscle too. The cutout in the "RPM" helps it breathe a bit better at higher RPM, the taller cross-H design keeps runner velocity up for good torque & responsiveness. The Air Gap keeps it cooler.
    I'm pulling 4700RPM against an "A" berk in an "F" drive with her original 700cfm Holley. Haven't seen the result of the old 150 HP Nitrous blow through the Performer yet. Used to work great in the iron cross-H.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12