Thread: running temp????

mach1 454
    i have a 454 in my jet boat and am wondering what the running temp. should be. I notice it runs the best at 190 or 200deg. Is that too hot??? It is a basically stock engine except for the isky marine cam that gives me 5000RPM. The temp. always rises and decreases without me ever touching the inlet gate for the water to come in from the pump.What can i do to keep it around one temp? I know its imposible to keep it at one temp all day but it goes really high then really low. thanx for any help

BlownChevy
    My friend has one wit the exact same brand cam, and he runs it around 190-200 in a 454 and that seems good for him too but maybe it is wrong, i dont know, just thought u might want to know that other people run it were they seem is best... good luck

LakesOnly
    By using a gate valve to restrict the flow of water through the cooling system, we can get the operating temp up to where the engine was designed to run (i.e. produce more power). But with a gate valve, the engine's operating temp will fluctuate with engine speed (like 5 mph zone vs. flat out) because a gate valve IS NOT a thermostat. It is strictly a water inlet restrictor.
    As far as running at 200 degrees, well, it's a very subjective question you ask. But I think you should consider that freshwater lakes don't have Prestone antifreeze in them, and so your water may boil if it reaches 212 degrees farenheit.
    My motor runs 180 slow/160 fast. I keep it there because that's where the engine was broken in...
    [This message has been edited by LakesOnly (edited January 06, 2002).]

Bense468
    If you really want to dial in your boat and get it set so you never have to touch it then run a csi electric water pump. Run a water inlet of the bottom or back of the boat somewhere. Have the gate valve control your header if you have them. Just an idea. I am not set up like this but was thinking about it. Just set your thermostat at what you want and never have to worry about it. It will always run the same. With the electric pump you won't be stealing the HP. Just my 2 cents

rivercrazy
    I woundn't use a gate valve to control temps to the degree mentioned here. If it runs at 190 it will run way hotter at idle (it will probably overheat). It works OK if you run the motor at about 130 on plane (it will run about 150 idling).
    The problem with a gate valve is to set the temps at the right level, the temps fluctuate too much and thats BAD for the motor.

OneBadScorpion
    In both of my boats we run a gate valve with a pressure dump valve set at 8psi--any additional water pressure more than 8 psi gets dumped overboard.
    In our boats we run 140-160 at cruize speeds, but never less than 140. Remember too cold of engine temp doesnt effectively cool the block--the heat cant be absorbed by the water before it passes thru the exhaust!

HBjet
    Everyone has there own opinions on this, and I'm going to give mine. My boat runs at 160 (no thermostat) and once off plane, it will jump to 180 and then after some idling (like to a sandbar, or cove) the temp drops back down.
    How I would run the water. Off the pump, I would run a pressure regulator. Jet pumps make a lot of pressure and if too much is going into the block, you could have some problems (head gasket, hot spots in the block) Then from there to a valve but I would leave it all the way open. From the valve to a T and then into the block. Now I don't have a thermostat and I do have water injected headers. Out of the engine, I run one outlet to my T valve and then to my headers. The other outlet I run to another valve, and then out the transom. The kicker here is the outlet valve you use to adjust the temp in the engine. By closing is more, the temp will go down, and opening will cause it to rise. By doing it this way, the water pressure in the block will remain more consistant and therefore truly cool the emgine without any damage.
    On plane, I would say anything over 160 isn't that good and under 140, well. It's up to you guys.
    HBjet

Hallett19
    I have always been told between racing motors and OE motors, 180 is IDEAL running temp, anything lower and the motor is not at minimum operating temp. Just my 2 cents.

Snowboat
    HBJet: What kind of pressure regulator are you describing? I've never found anything in the boat catalogs. Could you tell us a brand and part number? Thanks.