Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Polishing cast.

dmontzsta
    I have my boat totally torn apart and I am polishing every part and re-rigging the entire thing.
    The problem I keep having is...
    I polish down pieces and I seem to always have really fine scratch marks, I have tried taking down the wheel to the next layer and it is still there.
    Should I be doing finishing work with the polisher? or should I take a low speed drill with a polishing bit and get them out?
    I am looking for you cast polishing experts.

dmontzsta
    haha, thanks. :hammer2:
    I wish I could go billet, but I want to get everything set up first, then I will do a little at a time.
    I have been using the black, then brown/red then white, does that sound right?

dmontzsta
    It really does come along way with the polishing wheel.
    http://dmontzsta.werd.com/MiscStuff/...s/100_3162.jpg

Krumbsnatcher
    In order to get that smooth surface you have to belt it first then cut it then use the jewelry rouge we use the green bar for all of our aluminum.

dmontzsta
    In order to get that smooth surface you have to belt it first then cut it then use the jewelry rouge we use the green bar for all of our aluminum.
    Do you mean belt sand it? with what grit?

BrendellaJet
    I sand anything I polish. I bought scrap aluminum for a few parts, wetsanded scrapes out-was in pretty bad condition, started with 80 grit, worked my way up to 800(sounds like work, wasn't that bad) and then buffed with the green compound on a disc grinder turned polisher. Works real well. Its messy. Ive decided to hand it all over to a pro once I get it "good" so they can finish it off. Was very time consuming for me...Can be done though.

lucky
    It really does come along way with the polishing wheel.
    http://dmontzsta.werd.com/MiscStuff/...s/100_3162.jpg
    MAN-- THAT SHINE IS INCREADABLE -- WHAT EVER DO YOU USE ON YOUR HEAD ? :coffeycup

dmontzsta
    Its a secret and if I told you, I would have to kill you and that monkey.

CrazyHippy
    Nice latex gloves...
    These guys are right, you can get cast to look bitchen from 5' but it will always have little pits in it up close.
    BJH

Dave C
    You have to sand it first to get it super-smooth before you buff it. First use rough grit 250-500 to get the deep gouges out, then fine grit, 1500-2000 wet sand, until it all turns grey (you will know when you see it). Then polish the f-ck out of it.
    It will come out shiney and smooth like a mofo.
    the key is the 1500-2000 grit sand paper and getting a good/even cut with those.
    BTW I used to do this all the time before I got a full time job.
    PM if you want.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast