Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Polishing cast.

dmontzsta
    Nice latex gloves...
    These guys are right, you can get cast to look bitchen from 5' but it will always have little pits in it up close.
    BJH
    Thanks, the owner of my company invested in a ton of them and thought he would sell them to the .99 stores and doctors offices, but he didnt, so I came up on a shit load of them, I use them whenever working on cars/boats, keeps the hands nice and clean, but they smell like rubber.
    I have just been using the black rouge to take the stuff down and it has been working well, I have been going over each pitted aread individually until all the pits are out, then a fine white rouge and some alluminum polish, seems to work alright, I guess it will never have the billet shine.

v-drive
    Don, I found a place in Santa Ana called CTI abrassives.
    I use a yellow wheel with brown or green compound sticks. castings are
    a bitch anyway you do it. The yellow wheel is more aggressive and it takes a little getting used to but normally works really well. I did all of mine and it had been partially submerged so it was in very sad shape. I don't sand anything unless I have to take machine marks out....v-drive

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Its a secret and if I told you, I would have to kill you and that monkey.
    Not the monkey He looks innocent

Dave C
    wet sand that bad boy with 1500 wet paper before buffing.... it will shine like a 22' spinner in Compton...
    Also use the correct rouge (sp?) I think I was using the brownish/red colored one with a die grinder wheel. Spun like a mofo.
    I guess it will never have the billet shine.

bottom feeder
    Dmontzsta,
    If you see scratches that is what they are. To remove them you have to "cut them out" you can polish them out or sand them out. As others have said sand then polish. Start by sanding it will give you a much nicer part when you are finnished. Once you have reached a certian luster with cast aluminum it will get no better. If the scratches you are talking about are vary small (not able to feel with you finger nail) look to both ends of the scratch and see if it starts at a pocket in the material. If it does thats about as good as it gets, as you are drawing dirt and debris out of the void and onto the wheel. Keep the wheel clean! best of luck to you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12