Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GM: ouch...... going global anyone-?

sorry dog
    don't think the Camaro/Firebird is gonna make it especially with the GTO flopping...
    The mustang out sold it something like 2 to 1 and I can see why... Camaro was great to race around in and was very fast but it wasn't very practical to live with...Mustang was better everyday car.
    Cdog - you're right... not much competition at the 3/4 1 ton level, but I think the 1/2 ton stuff is different.
    I've towed with V6 T100 some and it handles a 2000 pound boat well, but probably wouldn't be good for more than that. That truck is still in the family and has 160k miles with little trouble.
    Basically I think nobody makes a perfect one and all will have their issues.

cjordan
    My Duramax is built by Isuzu....nuff said...

Leave the econo shit box cars to the Japs.
    I never respond to the "American" vs "Japanese" truck threads, because it's kind of entertaining reading all the bantering that goes back and forth... but this comment just put a pit in my stomach. I not only work at Toyota HQ in Torrance, but happen to be the immigration coordinator that handles all of our Japan Staff and their families when they come from Toyota Motor Corp (Japan) to do their assignments at Toyota Motor Sales (USA). I have to say these people are the most kind, humble, intelligent and hard working people I've ever met. I usually prefer to work with them than most of our American Staff. Hate to tell you guys, but Toyota is now more "American" than Mexico/Canada built Cheverolet. I have to say I am quite proud to work for Toyota, and my Lexus drives like a dream

cdog
    I never respond to the "American" vs "Japanese" truck threads, because it's kind of entertaining reading all the bantering that goes back and forth... but this comment just put a pit in my stomach. I not only work at Toyota HQ in Torrance, but happen to be the immigration coordinator that handles all of our Japan Staff and their families when they come from Toyota Motor Corp (Japan) to do their assignments at Toyota Motor Sales (USA). I have to say these people are the most kind, humble, intelligent and hard working people I've ever met. I usually prefer to work with them than most of our American Staff. Hate to tell you guys, but Toyota is now more "American" than Mexico/Canada built Cheverolet. I have to say I am quite proud to work for Toyota, and my Lexus drives like a dream
    Get your toy out of it's box and lets chain it up to my suburban. The victor will be the real truck. ....That's great, they might be a good company, fact is they don't make real trucks. But they have the econo shit box market nailed. Their cars and trucks are for mass market group of consumers. They don't make one truck or suv that will tow a big boat up chirico summit at 70 mph let alone 55 mph. You live here on the west coast .....If you went to texas,louisanna or michigan you'd see the GM plants that employ whole city's.
    I really don't agree with your toyota is more american comment. I am one of the few that have nothing but + experiances with my chevy's and had real bad experiances with toyotas.

Dawn Patrol
    Have you seen the newer Toyota DoubleCab? I think if you saw one parked next to a competing Chevy, Dodge, or Ford, I think you'd be surprised. Full sized deep bed and impressive sized cabin. And they really know how to use technology in an engine to make strong reliable power. 282HP and 335 lb of torque (a just a little over 3K rpm) out of 4.7L is pretty darn respectable.
    If the Toyota or Nissan could pull something like whats in the Pic, then they would be considered a "Full Size Truck". They still have a long way to go.
    My last two Toyota trucks both went over 150K without ANY mechanical problems what so ever. Can anyone say that about their Ford or Chevy? I know I can't........ :umm:
    My 2002 HD 8.1/Allison has spent way too much time at the dealership.
    1) Leaking tranny fluid, twice.
    2) Leaking Transfer Case. Ended up replacing case, warp surface.
    3) Replaced front hubs
    4) Worn out Pitman arm & Idler Arm
    5) Heater core
    6) and today, it was on the rack getting new tires and brakes, the front seal on the engine is leaking oil, and there is some tranny fluid on the cross member.........
    Will definately look at Toyota when they make a Real Truck.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...ach_7-4-03.jpg

Oops - double post!

Get your toy out of it's box and lets chain it up to my suburban. The victor will be the real truck. ....That's great, they might be a good company, fact is they don't make real trucks. But they have the econo shit box market nailed. Their cars and trucks are for mass market group of consumers. They don't make one truck or suv that will tow a big boat up chirico summit at 70 mph let alone 55 mph. You live here on the west coast .....If you went to texas,louisanna or michigan you'd see the GM plants that employ whole city's.
    I really don't agree with your toyota is more american comment. I am one of the few that have nothing but + experiances with my chevy's and had real bad experiances with toyotas.
    First of all, I'm not exactly sure what a shit box is, but - whatever.
    You're right, their cars and trucks are for mass market group of consumers - which is why they are doing so well. If they only targeted the people who need to pull big boats up Chiriaco Summit, they wouldn't be doing that great.
    The states in the midwest you are talking about is the Heartland. Toyota definitely has their eyes on that target, hence the ground breaking of the San Antonio, TX truck plant.
    I'm not bashing Chevy trucks, my husband's is parked in the garage right now. It's pushing 200,000 miles with some minor bumps in the road. He's always been diehard Chevy fan, but just mentioned recently that as soon as Toyota builds a 3/4 ton diesel, he'd consider getting one.
    I certainly didn't intend to get on my Toyota high-horse, it's just that your comment about 'Japs' and their 'econo shit boxes' just bugged me and I had to respond/defend!

HammerDown
    Don't think I can EVER bring myself to owning a vehicle with a "foreign name plate" ...built in this country or not.

cjordan
    I happen to be from an area where there are the following plants: GM, Ford, Toyota. Toyota Motor Manufacturing NA headquarters is 10 minutes away. They build Camry's 45 min away. Everyone I know that works at Toyota loves what they do wether its in the HQ or working on the (Non-Union) assembly line in Georgetown. The corporate guys work their asses off and in many cases could use more staff, but they stay lean......I only know a couple of Ford people and they seem to like what they do, but have the "don't mees with my benefits", "the company owes me" mentality....The GM person I know works in Detroit in "corporate" (advertising for dealers) he has been with both Ford and Honda previously....in his opinion GM is way to big for anyone to manage, the dealers in general think the parent is on crack with some of the stuff they pull. GM is great at mass producing cars no one wants.....What surprised him the most is there is absolutly no accountability for mistakes that happen, in some cases to the tune of a few million $$. Even if the blame clearly falls on someone it just gets swept under the rug. To me, look at the last union contract...95% of pay for 2yrs even if you get laid off.......... :supp: can you think of anyone you know with anywhere even close to that kind of benefit?
    I own a Chevy 2500HD crew cab diesel truck and love it. My 01 2500 Suburban 8.1L that inhaled oil, rear end going out (again) and was out of warrenty so I traded it. I had a 97' 2500 burb before (bot used) that had 200k when I sold it with few issues. No consistency.... IMO, GM and F should thank their lucky stars that Toyota and others have not gone after the BIG truck / SUV market because that is about the only thing they make any $$ on.

Liberator TJ1984
    Quoted by Cjordan;
    IMO, GM and F should thank their lucky stars that Toyota and others have not gone after the BIG truck / SUV market because that is about the only thing they make any $$ on.
    I'm kinda thinkin' they are fixin' to go in for the Kill real Soon :idea:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123