Thread: to muffler or not?

EXPEDAL
    Hey guys Im new to boating period. So I bought a 79 HawaIIan with a 496 hp chevy 14 to one compreesion. Im runninng 114 octane. I got some mufflers from Rewarder to slip into my ot pipes. Question, will my engine need to be retuned? What are the pros and cons?

blown428fe
    If they slip in I would slip them in cause your most likely catch hell. Lets see a pic of the 79.

blown428fe
    If they slip in I would slip them in cause your most likely gonna catch hell. Lets see a pic of the 79.

blown428fe
    Sorry about the double post. No edit button tonite.

RCB19
    Mufflers are never a positive as far as performance goes. However thoes slip-in's are not very restrictive. I wouldn't worry about your tune up. Stick um im and go.

Unchained
    Those mufflers won't get that high compression engine any where near quiet.
    You'll likely still be over 105 db.

502 JET
    Hey guys Im new to boating period. So I bought a 79 HawaIIan with a 496 hp chevy 14 to one compreesion. Im runninng 114 octane. I got some mufflers from Rewarder to slip into my ot pipes. Question, will my engine need to be retuned? What are the pros and cons?
    Even if the mufflers dont quiet it down enough to be legal you should still install them.If you get stopped having them in your headers will show the boat police you are at least making an effort to comply with the law.It may be the difference between getting a ticket or not.You will have to install them and run them to see if you will need to re tune your engine.Get a gps speed reading on your boat then install the mufflers and run it again and you will see if you loose any performance.

GUGS102
    We used the bassett sprial slip in mufflers and lost 500 RPM. I'm interested to see what your experience will be. The mufflers can back out same day.
    Gugs