Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated Ultra Owner

foss75
    I have a 2000 Ultra 21 XT and I have to say I love the boat, but I have had some serious problems trying to get warranty repairs done. From something as small as a bimini top mount to two bad diverter pumps, everything has been such a hassle. I bought the boat from an Ultra distributorship in Southern California that is no longer affiliated with Ultra. Is there anywhere I can take my boat to get warranty repairs and regular servicing around my area? I live in Huntington Beach, California.

Hustler
    What dealership did you buy it from (what city) have you tried to contact John West at Ultra boats of El Cajon? I think he would be happy to take care of his Ultra customers.
    619-443-1100
    Hustler

sandblasted
    Try calling Place Diverter directly on the pump. You'll have to pull it out yourself and send it to them but they are pretty good about doing warranty work on them..

racingrascal
    Originally posted by foss75:
    I have a 2000 Ultra 21 XT and I have to say I love the boat, but I have had some serious problems trying to get warranty repairs done. From something as small as a bimini top mount to two bad diverter pumps, everything has been such a hassle. I bought the boat from an Ultra distributorship in Southern California that is no longer affiliated with Ultra. Is there anywhere I can take my boat to get warranty repairs and regular servicing around my area? I live in Huntington Beach, California.
    Did you buy the boat from a company that is now "Cobra boats", out of Montclair? If so you are in a tough spot. I would go back to them. Boat compaines are hard to deal with and most just don't care these days. If nothing else try John West out of El Cajon, Ca. 619-443-1100. But if you didn't buy it from him chances are he didn't build it so it's not one of his boats, he usaully helps if he can.
    Andy

RiverToysJas
    Originally posted by foss75:
    Is there anywhere I can take my boat to get warranty repairs and regular servicing around my area? I live in Huntington Beach, California.
    Servicing could be handled by nearly any dealer or shop. GS Marine in Corona for example. DNE & MPD in Costa Mesa is another.
    As for Warranty work, the boats at least two maybe three years old. How long of warranty did it come with? The motor and drives are usually a year I believe. I'm not sure about hulls though.
    Personally I'd still call John for advice if nothing else.
    RTJas http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif
    [This message has been edited by RiverToysJas (edited June 13, 2002).]

RiverDave
    Personally in this situation, I'd talk to the person that you bought the boat from and explain "more or less" how this thing is going to go down if he doesn't obligate his end of the bargain..
    RD

foss75
    How can I find out if my boat was made by Ultra in El Cajon? When I bought the boat back in May of 2000, this distributorship was listed on Ultra's website as a authorized dealer. I assumed that the boat was made by John West's Ultra Custom Boats. I guess I could be wrong? As I have been told, the warranty is of no concern anymore because I have documentation stating that I have been trying to get the same things fixed for over a year now. I paid for a custom boat and I expected to get a custom boat. What I got is a "sweet" looking boat that is in the shop all the time. Is it "custom" to have parts grinded out on the diverter to make it fit? Cause that's what I got the last time they tried to fix it.

foss75
    I have also had the Extreme trailer that came with the boat in three times because the brakes don't release when I go to back up. I have checked my wiring on my truck with a test light and everything is functioning properly, so it has to be something on the trailer. They keep telling me there is nothing wrong with the trailer, but it still doesn't release when I try to back up. Something else I have been dealing with for over a year now. Anyone have any ideas on what do to about that? I called Extreme directly and they said to check the solonoid, which I did, and it is fine.

riodog
    foss 75,
    Listen real good, I would have e-mailed you but you failed to post your address. I hesitate to post sometimes cuz you get everybodies opinion and opinions are like assholes-everyones got one and that's not what you need . So listen up!
    1. The first thing you do not do is turn your boat over to the dealer! ( if it's the one I'm thinking of, he's a snake, as in BK and you could lose BIG TIME).
    2. Call John West and ask for his advise. If he's willing to fix the problems, fine. If not(as in it wasn't one of his boats), ask him if he'll do the work at a discount, he's easy to deal with.
    3. If for some reason you can't get John on the phone call Greg at GS Marine. He can usually get through to whomever. If it can be covered under warranty he can get it covered if anyone can.
    4. The problem with the Place Diverter. If the problem is with the electric motor/pump, before you start replacing parts, check to see if the unit is wired DIRECTLY to the power supply. NOT through the ignition switch! The motor/pump needs a solid 12 volts or it will not work properly. If the problem is found to be in the unit, it has a 5 year warranty, call the manufacturer directly and they will replace it with no problem. Your part number should be: Place Diverter Hyd.unit,dual acting, DAHPU.
    5. Remember, this is a boat you're dealing with, not a car! While we wish all dealers were on the 'up an up', they're not. You are going to have to learn to do some of the small things yourself or you WILL be in the poor-house! This is a fact of "boating life", accept it!
    Here is a list of the phone numbers you need. I've been dealing with these people for years and they are all very easy to work with, it just depends on how YOU go about it!
    John West-Ultra>619-443-1100
    Greg-GS Marine>909-272-6060
    Tim Place>714-870-4040
    For your hyd unit call -Bennett, ask for Tomas, (954) 427-1400, they are in Deerfield Beach Fl.( they usually ship a new unit and you just ship the old one back).
    Sorry it's so long but hope this helps. Riodog aka M.W. Fulton (been there,done that)

foss75
    Thanks for your help riodog.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast