Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trailer Help (Surge Brake Circus)!!

Lake Ape
    Hey All,
    I just bought a new tournament ski boat today and the trailer is a dual axle zieman with disc surge brakes. The trailer has a flat five pin electrical connecter, the connecter on my truck is a standard four pin, the problem is that the boat is in the driveway and I can't back up! What pin do I need to supply juice to so the surge breaks don't engage? I just want to rig it so I can get it turned around and parked.
    Thanks,
    The Circus! Lake Ape!

RexRathburn
    Hey All,
    I just bought a new tournament ski boat today and the trailer is a dual axle zieman with disc surge brakes. The trailer has a flat five pin electrical connecter, the connecter on my truck is a standard four pin, the problem is that the boat is in the driveway and I can't back up! What pin do I need to supply juice to so the surge breaks don't engage? I just want to rig it so I can get it turned around and parked.
    Thanks,
    The Circus! Lake Ape!
    The Extreme trailer that I had used the backup lights for the 5th pin...I'm pretty sure that's standard.

Lake Ape
    Are the backup lights the one I need to supply juice to so the surge brakes stay off, in other words, the fifth pin?

Outnumbered
    Hey All,
    Thanks,
    The Circus! Lake Ape!
    You need a round-7 into flat-5 converter from Jetconnex (sp) or U-haul, Autozone, etc. The 5th pin is wired to the back-up lights and triggers a lock-out for the surge brakes so they don't lock up in reverse. If your truck does not have a round-7 then you will prolly have to make your own harness out of a flat-5 pig-tail that you can buy at U-haul or maybe Autozone.
    Also, there is a manual lock-out pin that the guy should have gave you with the trailer that you can use in a pinch.

Biglue
    Are the backup lights the one I need to supply juice to so the surge brakes stay off, in other words, the fifth pin?
    Yes. That's wher eyou get the juice from. I had the same issue when I brought my new boat home also.

dicudmore
    what they said...
    its the reverse light circuit

xs ultra
    If you have surge brakes the electric has nothing to do with backing up.
    If your trailer is locking up when you back up you need to lock out the brake assy. with a lock out cam /pin. Also your brake may be adjusted to tight. I have never used my lock before but I have one that came with the trailer.

Waldo
    If your trailer is locking up when you back up you need to lock out the brake assy. with a lock out cam /pin. Also your brake may be adjusted to tight. I have never used my lock before but I have one that came with the trailer.
    Ya, what he said.
    If it's new, it's probably not surge...surge brakes are triggered by how hard you break...there is a sensor in the tongue that initiates/regulates how hard the trailer breaks.
    Get a new 7-5, or whatever, adapter as mentioned above.

Biglue
    The juice from the reverse light deactivates a solenoid so the surge brakes don't apply hydraulic pressure to the rotors or drums. It has everything to do with surge breaks.

Biglue
    Ya, what he said.
    If it's new, it's probably not surge...surge brakes are triggered by how hard you break...there is a sensor in the tongue that initiates/regulates how hard the trailer breaks.
    Get a new 7-5, or whatever, adapter as mentioned above.
    He has a simple 4 pin connector.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast