Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boost Referenced fuel pressure

Taylorman
    How is this done? Just a question out of curiosity? I just bought a fuel pressure regulator that has a port to reference boost. How do you do it and what does it do?
    Kevin

HP350SC
    On a bypass style regulator, you run a line to a manifold port under the blower. The vacuum or pressure in the intake manifold will act on the regulator diaphragm. You set your base bypass pressure, then under boost the pressure will rise 1/1 and keep carb(s) from starving. Vacuum at idle will pull it down some, but it doesn't matter.

Unchained
    HP350SC,
    I dissagree, there would be no reason to reference the boost with a bypass type fuel pressure regulator on a draw through carbureted blower setup. It would likely force the floats open and cause flooding.
    The boost reference port would only be for an EFI setup where the injectors see boost pressure or with one of the pressurized carb box setups like a procharger.
    It is to compensate for boost pressure that would offset the fuel pressure.

Beer-30
    HP350SC,
    I dissagree, there would be no reason to reference the boost with a bypass type fuel pressure regulator on a draw through carbureted blower setup. It would likely force the floats open and cause flooding.
    The boost reference port would only be for an EFI setup where the injectors see boost pressure or with one of the pressurized carb box setups like a procharger.
    It is to compensate for boost pressure that would offset the fuel pressure.
    I agree with you dissagree-ing (I think I got that right). My Grand National regal had boost-reference for the EFI. A carbed, blown motor would just need CONSTANT pressure and never take a dip. The carb(s) would be boost-referenced to provide smooth, constant fuel flow - per lb. of boost.

Infomaniac
    I have never found the need to boost ref carb fuel systems. A well engineered system will supply plenty. Pressure does not always equal volume.
    Edit. . . . The exception being carb in a box blow thru systems.

HP350SC
    For discussion purposes, my fuel supply from tanks to carb. is more than adequate. I have posted pics. in gear heads, but it is all -10 lines with 5/8 tank pickups, adequate venting etc. My single 1095 Demon will not keep up on a long WOT pass. This has been corrected by raising fuel pressure at WOT. I DON'T think it would be necessary if there were TWO carbs however. All things being equal, more pressure will mean more flow, up to the point of forcing fuel past needle and seat. This would affect a/f ratio, so not good.
    Which brings me to a question. I have heard general consensus is around 11-12 lbs., but has anybody personally tested a carb. to see at what pressure this occurs? I am going to do this, so I know once and for all what my carb does.
    Leaving for Shasta tom. morn. but keep up discussion! :coffeycup

hulshot
    Mike I have a very similar bypass regulator and run 2 1150's. at 8-9 lbs fuel pressure i will run them dry and the motor will lay over. I am running 9-10lbs boost and the fuel pressure only raises about 1 lb, not much. I bumped up the presure to about 15-16lbs and it does not blow the seats at idle and seems to do just fine. When I run it wide open for a long run it will fluctuate slightly between 15 and 18lbs, and will run great with no problems and does not run out of fuel. I switched the pullies one time and made more blower pressure but when the boost came up the blower just screamed and went no where. I did this a few times until I realized what wass happening. When the boost hit 13psi the referrence regulator would go 1-1 and the fel pressure would spike and flood the engine. The fix was to simply remove the vaccum hose and run it again. It ran great after the line was removed. With the boost you are running I dont know if the regulator is in fact going 1-1 or if it is slightly raising. Maybe try to raise the pressure and disconnect the reference line.
    How do you know you are running the carb dry??? :

Infomaniac
    If the carb runs dry then the system is too restrictive somewhere. More pressure after the restriction should not fix the problem. No worries about overpowering the needle and seat during hard running. They are already open and flowing fuel.

HP350SC
    Mike I have a very similar bypass regulator and run 2 1150's. at 8-9 lbs fuel pressure i will run them dry and the motor will lay over. I am running 9-10lbs boost and the fuel pressure only raises about 1 lb, not much. I bumped up the presure to about 15-16lbs and it does not blow the seats at idle and seems to do just fine. When I run it wide open for a long run it will fluctuate slightly between 15 and 18lbs, and will run great with no problems and does not run out of fuel. I switched the pullies one time and made more blower pressure but when the boost came up the blower just screamed and went no where. I did this a few times until I realized what wass happening. When the boost hit 13psi the referrence regulator would go 1-1 and the fel pressure would spike and flood the engine. The fix was to simply remove the vaccum hose and run it again. It ran great after the line was removed. With the boost you are running I dont know if the regulator is in fact going 1-1 or if it is slightly raising. Maybe try to raise the pressure and disconnect the reference line.
    How do you know you are running the carb dry??? :
    Don, I have tried running 11 lbs. with no boost reference. Gauge is rock solid (unless tanks are low)and I know there is adequate volume. What I mean by 1/1 is the fuel pressure raises 1 lb. per 1 lb. boost, that is how the regulators are designed. Since I am running 9 lbs. boost I subtracted where I wanted to be at WOT and set base pressure there(4 lbs.)
    There seems to be some confusion from some of the statements unless I am reading it wrong. If you are not overpowering needle and seat, you are not changing a/f ratio through the jets. You are filling bowls faster though. My motor is pretty mild at 750hp but it is tough to feed it with a single carb. Would be similar to 1500hp with only dual carbs.

HP350SC
    If the carb runs dry then the system is too restrictive somewhere. More pressure after the restriction should not fix the problem. No worries about overpowering the needle and seat during hard running. They are already open and flowing fuel.
    If the needles and seats are the restriction, then they would allow more fuel through by raising the pressure to them right? That is the point I am trying to make. Unless flow was so great at WOT that bowls were filling faster than motor was using AND you had enough pressure to push past needle and seat(not too likely).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast