Last weekend when I was at the plastics store buying more resin and glass for my project, I thought of something that I would like to run by you all for your thoughts or input.
What about plastic? I'm in the process of replacing my transom, stringers and floor. I buy all of my fiberglass materials at S&W plastics. I was just thinking, instead of wood on the transom, why not plastic with the same thickness? No more rot, if I glass both sides, it would be just as rigid if not more. Also, was thinking of the floor as well. Again, no more rot. Won't need to go as thick on the floor, but none the less, glass both sides, before I cut to fit. They have all sizes of plastic sheets of various rigidity. Some were very pourus, but thick enough to replace my floor which had 3/4" Marine plywd before. Even glassed on both sides, it would be less weight and plenty strong. Staying with kiln dried oak for the stringers. Don't want to get experimental with what holds my engine in place. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif
Old Rigger, thoughts?