Thread: Piston Skirt Coatings...?

HammerDown
    About how long do they last...and how thick is the coating?

PC Rat
    I spoke with someone from Calico Coatings the other day. He said they typically apply the skirt coating at 0.0005" thick, but can be applied thicker.
    Brian

UBFJ #454
    Swain Technology Inc. in up State NY ( http://www.swaintech.com/header.html ) coats both the tops (Gold) & skirts (PolyMoly) of our pistons. Inspection of the pistons during our last rebuild showed no significant loss of either coatings ... stripped them clean and recoated them.

PC Rat
    Swain Technology Inc. in up State NY ( http://www.swaintech.com/header.html ) coats both the tops (Gold) & skirts (PolyMoly) of our pistons. Inspection of the pistons during our last rebuild showed no significant loss of either coatings ... stripped them clean and recoated them.
    How many runs did you make before the rebuild?
    Brian

UBFJ #454
    85 Total ... 35 with 250 Shots of n2o.
    On the dyno after the rebuild we made a 'Slight' mistake in the Phasing of the Timing on a 400 Shot and we Almost 'Nuked' the motor ... Flames Everywhere, blew Westech's two velocity stacks totally apart (have a piece on the wall as a Trophy). Next day optically probed the cylinder's tops to check for any damage ... None and no sign of coating having come off.
    After that experience I'm totally convinced of the Merit of coating pistons ... Both tops and Skirts.

wsuwrhr
    85 Total ... 35 with 250 Shots of n2o.
    On the dyno after the rebuild we made a 'Slight' mistake in the Phasing of the Timing on a 400 Shot and we Almost 'Nuked' the motor ... Flames Everywhere, blew Westech's two velocity stacks totally apart (have a piece on the wall as a Trophy). Next day optically probed the cylinder's tops to check for any damage ... None and no sign of coating having come off.
    After that experience I'm totally convinced of the Merit of coating pistons ... Both tops and Skirts.
    I finally got my pistons today.
    What is the cost for the coating on the pistons?
    Most likely I will be using one of those super cool nitrous brackets in my boat. I am thinking it may help me out a bit.
    Brian

wsuwrhr
    turn around time?
    Brian

Brian
    I ordered custom JEs through Polymer Dynamics in TX. They did thermal barriers on the tops and the low friction deals on the sides and charged jobber for the whole deal. Pulled the motor apart at about 15 hrs after a lifter exploded and the pistons were perfect. Haven't had a reason to look since then, now at about 120 hrs and counting, knock on wood (my head!).

DEL51
    I think you should look for a 2 week turn around.Make sure the pistons are nice and clean if they were used.I had the tops and shirts done.My builder did them himself.I hav not had the motor torn down so I do not the know their condition.It is cheaper in the long run to have them done, I think all the top engines in the popular hot rodding shootout had coatings.

UBFJ #454
    Brian ... Swain has costs posted on their website.