Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: oil pressure drops on accell

NELSON#109
    roger, ur a retard.... wow, no wonder ur old ladies family doesnt like you.... did you get that check i sent to the special olympics, i told them it was for you...... i talked to jesus... he said he didnt see you at your 2007'th high school reunion (the way he told me, he was dead before he was dead)(marter shmarter). all i can say is "beat it".

wet77
    Had the EXACT same issue with mine last year as well. At least the symptom is the same. I have done several things to my oil control system and pan to help resolve my issue. If you need help and would like to talk I'll pm you my phone # so I dont have to type all this data and ask you to type all yours..
    BTW I have the same pan and BBC.
    Denis
    great!! just told my engine builder to go with the Milodon pan for my 540 :messedup:
    Is this pan just that bad
    I am going to run a 4.250 crank and stud the bottom end is this going to cause major problems :idea:

drysumpjet
    This issue really hits home with me...and most of the others I know with BBC jets. This seems to be more of a problem with lakeboats in comparison with raceboats as a lakeboat without an oil cooler after a long run can achieve higher oil temperatures which aggravate the problem. With lakeboats, it appears that many are too busy driving the boat to look at the guages and don't notice the pressure drop. Not that watching where you are going is a bad thing!!!
    I have tried numerous fixes over the years, from different pickups, various pickup/pan clearances, oil pumps, oversize oil filters, 10 and 14 quart pans, all of which made improvements but not a total cure. Perhaps blowby (as suggested in the Titan article) or cavitaition in the oil pump pickup tube are some causes.
    This issue seems to be aggravated by hot oil, for which an oil cooler seems to be a cure; but to have no oil pressure drop, the oil temperature needs to be less than 170. Most engine builders probably will say that is too cold, but may be better than having low oil pressure at WOT.
    For myself, the only total fix was going drysump. Totally cured with other added benefits except for the hole left in my wallet.

Heatseeker
    I've been running a Milodon pan for three seasons without issue. I'd like to hear what problems they pose(as opposed to finding out the expensive way!!!).

Duane HTP
    I'm reading this from France right now, but call Brian at the shop. 316-794-8616. Moroso makes a shield that goes between the oil pump and the block that is made to solve this problem. And it works. He will sell you one, or just give you the part number.

ezstriper
    Thanks for all the input, the problem with mine was not after a long run, while cruising around held 70-80 even warm, after about 1 hour of run time it started droping to about 10 anytime you would stand on it for over 5 seconds, let off go right back to 70-80, have pan off now, I'm wondering why would you even need those trap doors on a boat pan, this thing sure won't slow down quick enough foe the oil to run away, at least for more than once ans I hope I'm not in it !, also found 2 peices of flat banged up thin strap metal(not bearing) laying in rear sump, wonder if it was getting sucked to pick-up and blocking ? Have no idea what the metal was from, looks like a possible oil pump brace, but the one is on the pickup ?, I've never seen anything like it, and the motor was in boat when I bought it so who knows, thanks for the info Rob...

Wicked Performance Boats
    While you have the oil pan off, check the connecting rod side clearance. If they have been reconditioned too many times, you will lose oil pressure. Budlight

wet77
    What oil pan is the one to use??
    I need one right now for my 540 :cry:
    Milodon is a long time out to get it and I cant see spending $500-$600 for a pan.
    Anyone got a used one?
    Dart 540 is a gen4 block

RCB19
    Wet, go with the Dan Olson pan if you can swing the $$$. The homework has been done on these pans & they have all the right stuff built into them to control the oil properly. Save yourself the guesswork & buying band-aids to make thoes pans work. Remember you need to pull the motor in a boat to get to the pan. This is lots of work if one band-aid doesn't work. Also you could spend as much on these band-aids and pan for what you could spend on one that will be a good product out of the box. They are about $600 for the pan and pickup. Good luck.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12