I've been reading the posts on the boards, and perhaps more importantly, watching the action on the launching ramps. Our 160,000 mile Grand Cherokee Limited is nearing the end of its useful life. While it can still drag the boat to the lake and back, we are thinking it needs replacement. The replacement must not only be able to tow the boat, but also my CJ-5 on its trailer (a 6,700 pound load) AND, it must be towable behind our motorhome. I hate the daytime running lights, so a Chevy is out. Since this is replacing our main passenger car, it has to have a full size back seat. The GC has been a great boat tow rig, never slipped on the ramp with its full-time 4x4.
This brings us to a 4x4 with lots of power and a selectable transfer case with a neutral position. My first three candidates were the Dodge Cummins Quadcab 4x4, the Super Duty F-250 6.0 Powerstroke Supercab, and the Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Hemi. While visitng my local Ford store, they suggested the F-150 Supercab 4x4 with the 5.4 Triton. My brother-in-law had an Excursion of unknown capability that wouldn't pull his boat, but I don't talk to him much so don't know why.
The Grand Cherokee is a known quantity to me, it works well in a 96 model, with the improved power of the 05 model it should be great for this purpose.
So, does anyone have an F-150 that they tow their boat with? How does it work? Can you crest the hills on the 58/40/15/10 at speed, or are you holding up traffic? Does the 4 wheel drive work well when leaving the ramp? This truck has 20's, how do they work? Do they or the truck overheat crossing the dez?
How about the Dodge? Any complaints? I may be able to get a lease return 2005 Cummins 4x4 with manual transfer case for less than the F-150 or GC.
How about the F-250 6.0 Powerstorke? They seem to sell fast, the lot only had a couple, and one was over 50 grand.
So, the question restated - what are people using, and what are they happy with, among the Grand Cherokee Hemi, F-150 5.4, F-250 6.0 Powerstroke, and the Dodge Cummins?