Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Best" tow rig?????

hkunz
    That's funny, the Chevy is out due to daytime running lights.
    Boy, that's a real valid reason to dismiss a choice.
    That's like saying the Ford is out, because it is a four letter word.
    :hammer2:
    Ok, and they're ugly as well
    Perhaps I should clarify - The Chevy DRL's seem to have one light out quite a bit. That makes me wonder what else is wrong with the truck.
    I am trying to think of a long term rig, and in the past Chevy trucks have had serious issues with the steering boxes pulling off the frame, and the idler arms bending during heavy use. These are not easy fixes. Ford and Dodge, by comparison, while may have had thier various issues (the first release Powerstrokes, for example), they are easier/cheaper issues to take care of.
    Branding is another issue I'm leery of - there's a Cummins, a Navistar (International), or an Isuzu. Cummins and Navistar have a distinctly different reputation than does Isuzu - the former are North American "big rig" powerplants, the latter more of a prime mover/stationary powerplant big in the third world. While the required reliability for something to work in the third world is a bonus, third world powerplants tend to be detuned for that exact reason.
    Hope that makes it clearer.
    Mike

hkunz
    My brother has an 04 F-150 Supercrew with the 5.4 and it tows great, I believe it is rated to tow 9000lbs. I have a 25' Commander and his truck tows it great
    What speed do you crest the hills at?
    Mike

PHX ATC
    We have a 2001 Dodge Cummins and a 2004 Dodge Cummins. They work great as tow vehicles. PM me if you want specifics, mileage, setup, etc.
    That way I won't start a brand war.
    Bottom line, get what you wish and what works for you.

life's a river
    I have an 03 crewcab Duramax. The wife loves the nice ride compared to my 01 F350 4x4. I like the Chevy's interior, the Ford's have the largest rear seat area. I think all 3 have there +'s. Just a matter of make preference. Test drive all 3 before you make up you mind. My .02.
    LAR

slingingsmoke
    I set the cruise on 72mph on the '04 6.0 Superduty. I get 15.67 mpg (hand calculated--you should/can never trust the overhead computer) towing my 22' boat over the hills on the I-40 from cali to havi.
    oh and its a 4x4.
    JON.
    oh and $50K???? dont get ripped off.
    in 2003 I ordered my 2004 for 37,900.

Outnumbered
    Did you guys miss the part about towable behind the motor home? That is why I recommended the Durango. I don't think you will find a more powerful tow vehicle of its size anywhere. If the MOHO was not an issue than full-size p/u 2500 would be a must.

PHX ATC
    Did you guys miss the part about towable behind the motor home?
    Who reads for retention anymore? Hello, it's summer time...
    BTW, I didn't know you "recycled" your Cummins. That's too bad, but I'm glad you're happy with your Durango.
    Ever make it out here in QC?

Outnumbered
    Who reads for retention anymore? Hello, it's summer time...
    BTW, I didn't know you "recycled" your Cummins. That's too bad, but I'm glad you're happy with your Durango.
    Ever make it out here in QC?
    Ya, I was bummed. The wife got rear-ended by a 1978 3/4 4x4 Chebby, was spun and then t-boned by a Honda CRV. I tried to have it totalled but lost the fight with the insurance. We ended up getting it fixed and trading it in. I miss that truck but the Durango is a much better family car. Its got leather, DVD, 3rd row, etc. Its pretty nice and got top marks in the crash tests. Not the cool factor but sure a lot more fam friendly. BTW, I had mu Cummins weighed at the scales @ 7,700 lbs with a full tank of fuel and two people in it. Not the best MOHO tow-behind unless you have a Monaco or a Prevhost :rollside:

RidinRed
    Did you guys miss the part about towable behind the motor home? That is why I recommended the Durango. I don't think you will find a more powerful tow vehicle of its size anywhere. If the MOHO was not an issue than full-size p/u 2500 would be a must.
    Yes i wondered the same. Everyone got too into the best tow rig. I think as a towable you are looking at a half ton truck/SUV.

Eliminator 4 Life
    Ok, and they're ugly as well
    Perhaps I should clarify - The Chevy DRL's seem to have one light out quite a bit. That makes me wonder what else is wrong with the truck.
    I am trying to think of a long term rig, and in the past Chevy trucks have had serious issues with the steering boxes pulling off the frame, and the idler arms bending during heavy use. These are not easy fixes. Ford and Dodge, by comparison, while may have had thier various issues (the first release Powerstrokes, for example), they are easier/cheaper issues to take care of.
    Branding is another issue I'm leery of - there's a Cummins, a Navistar (International), or an Isuzu. Cummins and Navistar have a distinctly different reputation than does Isuzu - the former are North American "big rig" powerplants, the latter more of a prime mover/stationary powerplant big in the third world. While the required reliability for something to work in the third world is a bonus, third world powerplants tend to be detuned for that exact reason.
    Hope that makes it clearer.
    Mike
    Thats funny I had a 2004 ford 6.0 amd it was lemon lawed cause it was a pile of $hit paper plates with a drip pan under it to catch all the oil it leaked well now I got a gmc dismiss what you want but a headlight out is better then a freakin drip pan under your truck while it sits in the drive way. The service manager also told me they are doing 50 buy backs a month wonder why they are changing the motor in 2007 porbably cause of this issue but who am I to say

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast