Thread: oil leaving the motor???

psdperformance
    Fressh rebuilt 455 olds new rings honed cylinder walls,rebuilt rods micropolished crank new billett cam new lifters edelbrock intake manifold,750 spreadbore holly around 8.1 compression. I broke the motor in and took it to the lake and ran all weekend. I noticed each day i had oil spray on each valve cover and a little puddle on the intake manifold. It looks like it's coming out of the breather and the oil dipstick tube at the block. Motor runs great except fo rthis little problem. I might have overfiled on the last oil change but not according to the dipstick reading. It's a 10 qt dooly oil pan and i pumped out the oil and added 10 qts filled to the dipstick fill line?
    any thoughts would be great thanks chris

454-ways-to-go
    are you using baffles in your valve covers

flat broke
    Fressh rebuilt 455 olds new rings honed cylinder walls,rebuilt rods micropolished crank new billett cam new lifters edelbrock intake manifold,750 spreadbore holly around 8.1 compression. I broke the motor in and took it to the lake and ran all weekend. I noticed each day i had oil spray on each valve cover and a little puddle on the intake manifold. It looks like it's coming out of the breather and the oil dipstick tube at the block. Motor runs great except fo rthis little problem. I might have overfiled on the last oil change but not according to the dipstick reading. It's a 10 qt dooly oil pan and i pumped out the oil and added 10 qts filled to the dipstick fill line?
    any thoughts would be great thanks chris
    Knowing that my Dooley 14 qt pan holds a touch under 11 qts when in the boat before the oil leve has the crank airating the oil, I'd say your oil level may be too high. Remember that your motor is sitting in around a 4* angle and that the rear of the crank may be seeing a higher level of oil than you think. If the crank is htting the oil, it will whip it up pretty good.
    Chris

Floored
    I run 8 in my 10 qt pan and no problems, 455 olds also

bajarunner
    -To much oil in the pan? Don't forget oil expands as it gets hotter.
    -Is your breather open, and adequate?
    -Is there any chance the rings are incorrect or installed wrong? Maybe leakdown test is in order as a last resort.

RCB19
    All good ideas here so here's a couple more... The Olds has a great tendency to pump all the oil to the top end if you do not have some sort of restrictors installed. Also you stated that the motor was freshly rebuilt. It is possible that your rings did not seat and the motor is suffering from a huge blow-by problem. This would cause excessive crankcase pressure which would force oil out of the path of least resistance which would be the breathers. Good luck.