Thread: hardin valve cover corrosion

tahiti tim
    my bbc aluminum valve covers look really cruddy. they are the finned style and look almost white. how do i redo them?

blowngas
    buffing wheel and compound---then powdercoat clear

ANY&ALL
    pull the valve covers.go to the local paint shop or parts store.and buy one tube of flitz its a metal polish. i own a detailing buisness thats the quick way to bring them back with out using rouge and special buffing wheels take a very small amount and a buffer a high speed the on the spins not an orbital.use a wool pad and buff them to a mirrior if you dont have a buffer do it by hand, a small spot at a time. rub till it turns black then buff off with clean towel with the lines down the valve covers the black residue will not want to come off the trick is a spray bottle of mineral spirts spray lightly and clean with a towle sounds harder than it is with a buffer ten to twenty min. per vavle cover by hand thrithy min per cover. any ? feel free to ask thanks any and all detailing

mgar_red
    Tim, depending on how bad the "crud" is, you can use the flitz as Any&All described. These manifolds were some I got second hand, and no telling how long they had been oxidizing. I used 00 and 0000 steel wool with flitz and got semi mirror finish. Spent a few bucks at Lowes and the end result was with a 4" buffing wheel and polish stick for my drill.
    Mike G
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...1176sample.jpg
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...176sample1.jpg

lucky
    SAND PAPER IS YOUR FRIEND - AS LONG AS YOU FINISH WITH 2000 WET AND THEN POLISH - AND KEEP POLISHING - AND POLISHING - AND -- i'D BEAD BLAST THEN AND POWDER COAT THEM " FAKE CHROME -- LOOKS LIKE JET COATING :idea:

tahiti tim
    thanks guys and btw...those logs look goood!. i didn't even realize there was such a thing as clear powdercoating until a couple days ago!

berk
    my polished ones look cruddy too. i think i will just paint them.