Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Oil Pump????

HammerDown
    Hi Volume or standard??? Mellings # M77HV. It comes with my new Milodon Jet oil Pan.
    I belive my Crank Clearances were 2.50 and I prefer straight wt 40 oil.
    Thanks for any input...

Blown 472
    For what is it worth, I bought a mildon set up and the oil pressure was the same no matter what, cold or hot engine, I ripped it out and looked at it and called mildon and they said that is normal, not in there anymore after smoking a bearing it lost it's life and ended up in the broken parts box.

GofastRacer
    I've always used a standard pump, never found any benefit to a high volume one. It just takes more power to operate. You can only push so much oil through the passages. All I do is blueprint it and shim the spring for more pressure, full throttle is at least 70 lbs with 40wt!.

HammerDown
    Blown 472:
    For what is it worth, I bought a mildon set up and the oil pressure was the same no matter what, cold or hot engine, I ripped it out and looked at it and called mildon and they said that is normal, not in there anymore after smoking a bearing it lost it's life and ended up in the broken parts box. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Just wondering, when you say you bought a "Milodon setup"...was that the Pan with the Mellings High Volume pump W/ pick-up? Or just the Pan?
    I wonder why the oil psi would be the same cold or hot. How about Idle vs higher rpm's psi? Also I'm wondering why a cooked bearing with all that psi?
    The pan I'm looking to get is a Miloden #31557 comes with a Mellings M77HV and the pick/up, I don't know if I can swap it out with the standard "M77" pump.
    And true I don't see any issues with my standard pump...just looking for any pro/con's with the Hi-Volume one.
    Thanks for your input...

Blown 472
    I bought the pump, pan, and pick up. I dont know why the same psi all the time, it was 60 psi hot or cold, checked the bypass spring and it all seemed to move fine, I put a stock cj pump in it now and will see what happens.

HammerDown
    Intresting...I've come to find that all Mercruiser motors come with Mellings # M77HV (high Volume) pumps. And also that Melling makes ALL and everyones pumps out there, even GM's.
    At least thats what I was told.
    The above came from FlatLander Racing...I'll be calling Melling's Monday. I tend to be a educated consumer....for some things

LeE ss13
    GofastRacer:
    I've always used a standard pump, never found any benefit to a high volume one. It just takes more power to operate. You can only push so much oil through the passages. All I do is blueprint it and shim the spring for more pressure, full throttle is at least 70 lbs with 40wt!. Art !!!! I thought I was the only racer on the planet (besides my late father) that did that !!! And I run 30wt. What I like about a standard pump is that if the oil pressure is any different when you first start it up, then somethings wrong. With a High Volume, the crank can be ground down .010" and the pressure will still be high. And you're right ...why waste the HP turning it.

Fiat48
    Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins did you guys one better. He ran small block oil pumps rather than big block pumps.

Infomaniac
    Too much oil pressure and too much valve spring tension are both big wastes of HP.

i am putting a 454 back together and was wondering how do you blue print a pump?
    any help would be great. thanks
    pat(slotracer)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast