Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This Ever Happen To You???

Nucking futs
    This is a silly thought, but did you just change the oil and maybe lost count while filling it up. A little too much oil may let the crank froth it up pretty good-Aluminum Squirt
    Good point.
    Also if you did do an oil change and you have a 10quart pan does'nt mean that you "should" put 10 quarts in it. Sometimes the oil will go above your windage tray (if you have one) becuase of the angle of the engine.Need to check that on all enginges really,because if the cranks splashing , your leaving some rpm and power on the table. Just my .02 on this.

n8dawg
    thanks for the advise guys. I'll start with checking compression, if it's ok then I'll go from there. Maybe a puke tank.
    The motor by the way is a 455 Olds. I did a recent oil change, 10qt oil pan. The oil was not milky it was pure oil.
    Just wandering, I did a compression test about a month ago and my readings on the gauge were 170 average with a low of 168.5 to a high of 171.5. Is that good or bad?

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    thanks for the advise guys. I'll start with checking compression, if it's ok then I'll go from there. Maybe a puke tank.
    The motor by the way is a 455 Olds. I did a recent oil change, 10qt oil pan. The oil was not milky it was pure oil.
    Just wandering, I did a compression test about a month ago and my readings on the gauge were 170 average with a low of 168.5 to a high of 171.5. Is that good or bad?
    Thats fine. Rule of thumb is 10% of each cylinder. I would look at a better beather or puke tank. I am going to run a puke tank on my motor just in case.

Jeanyus
    From what I gather Olds 455s have a problem returning oil back down to the oil pan. If they are run at higher RPMs for a long period of time all the oil gets pumped into the valve covers and comes gushing out. To fix the problem, some people have added a line that goes from the valve cover down to the pan. Look at the big line at the back of the valve cover, it has one on both valve covers, and they go to the oil pan. That is my guess.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...21pumpkin4.jpg

flat broke
    As Jeanyus stated with 455s, the oil accumulates in the head faster than it can drain back down to the bottom end. Asside from increasing the amount of oil splashing around under your breathers possibly making a mess, it also means that less oil is available to your main bearings on those longer runs. I'm not a 455 guru, but you probably want to familiarize yourself with this characteristic by doing some searches etc. I know folks who have had 455s run strong and last, others that seem to toss rods every weekend. Bottom line, do a little reading on it and take whatever corrective actions you can to alleviate the oiling problem.
    Chris

Brooski
    Easy fix, dont run it at 4000 for any length of time..
    Just kidding Nate. I had an Olds that did the same thing. Chris hit it on the head, run a puke tank. Good luck.

NELSON#109
    ok, here it is. they do have a problem geting oil back to the pan, and do puck oil out the breathers if you even run them a little hard. run a puck tank. the only way to fix this problem is to machine the drain wholes in the heads, so they are much larger and oil can drain down faster. it's a must do trick, when re-building the 455. you should also run a big oil pan, so you dont run the bottom end dry. other than that, just dont run it hard for long periods. nelson#109

HotDogz
    I tried running my Olds w/50wt oil which was too thick to drain as fast as I needed. (blow oil faster) 20-50 was better but a good 10-40 oil w/oil cooler will help that problem alot more. You will need a puke tank also (Olds necessity) and a pcv valve on the other cover running to intake or carb. I can run @ 4000rpms all day, 4600-5000 are a different story. I would recommend a leakdown test as well for your motor. My old motor had good compression (155-165#) but 2 cylinders were only holding 20% & 15% pressure. Would build pressure just not hold it. REBUILD. Need to run a big oil pan as well (10qt or more). Good luck.

Brooski
    Can you say time for BB Chevy??? :idea: :idea:

Dan Lorenze
    I'm having the same exact problem on my 460. I recently replaced my Holley carb for an Edlebrock carb. The Edlebrock Marine carb has no spiggot for a breather hose that the Holley had, my mistake is that I just left the PCV valve in the valve cover and thought it would be okay. I recently took the boat to Laughlin, The boat lasted almost the whole weekend then I noticed the bottom of the engine compartment was filled with oil. Oil had been coming out my one breather like crazy. I just went out and bought another breather cap for that side, now I'm runnin two, I hope this helps...
    Dan

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast