Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: are v-drive parts swapable for jets ?

Hallett19
    I bought that oil pan, and it says on the box 'V-Drive'. Now, correct me if I am wrong, but arent v-drive pans facing the oposite way, and since there is a trap door in this pan, doesnt that mean it will be backwards,traping the oil in the wrong end of the pan !?!?!?! or am I just thinking too much ?

spectras only
    Hallett, what I'm concerned about is,the clearence between the bottom of the pan [depth]and the intake piece.It all depends on how high your engine is mounted on the stringers.V-drives pose no problems with oilpan size,but jets may ,because of the suction piece interference in some boats with the engines mounted very low.Don't try to put the pan on before make some measurements.I'm sure you can return the pan for proper replacement.90 % of Fords in jetboats had oilpans with the deep sump pans forward like on cars without ill effect in boats as long as they had the baffles in the bottom.My boat has a pan like this from new ,[ only 6 QT ,no trapdoor]and never had an oil pressure problem.For the first 5 years my engine never saw RPM's below 4000 http://free.***boat.net/ubb/wink.gif until I mellowed out and came to my senses http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif to keep running longer.When I replaced the original engine with a 429 I built over 13 years now ,I only galvanized the pan against rusting from the moisture lingering in bilges of boats.This engine still runs without problem[knock on wood http://free.***boat.net/ubb/biggrin.gif]
    [This message has been edited by spectras only (edited March 01, 2002).]

Wet Dream
    What the hell do you have going on over there? hehehe, give me a call 814.849.6959

superdave013
    You are very correct.
    DO NOT RUN A V-DRIVE PAN ON A JET BOAT!!!!
    The baffels are in backwards on a v-drive pan. This is because v-drive mount the engine in the boat backwards. Ya need to send it back and get the correct pan.
    [This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited March 02, 2002).]

spectras only
    Hallett,here are the right numbers for the applications.Dooley oilpan,V-drive 011020 , Jet-drive 011010. The pickups are different and the direction of the trapdoor opening http://www3.telus.net/spectrasonly/dooleypan.bmp

Hallett19
    the pan would have worked fine, the trap door was set up for oil to pass through the door, to the back of the pan, with a ledge on it to prevent the oil from going up the back of the pan under acceleration, however, the pickup is WAY OFF, my pickup bends up towards the TOP of the motor and is a press in with no bolts anywhere. The p/u they gave me is a press in which faces the FRONT of the motor, so do I need a different pump or did they just F me on the p/u ? not to mentions the pan bolts are no where near where they should be to fit a BBF 460

froggystyle
    Um, not to sound like an ass, but is the pan turned the right direction? If you have it in backwards (which will look right because it is for a V-drive with a backwards engine) then nothing will match up. Not trying to be condescending, just trying to help.

Hallett19
    It's all good froggy, it is definitley the wrong pan, I tried it both ways, I even measured the holes on the stock pan and it wasnt even close, but it is not the pan I am upset about, but the fact that I asked the guy several times about the pickup, and he said it will fit fine, but it was totally wrong, and now I might have to buy a new oil pump, does anyone have a pickup similar to mine and run a high capacity pan? my pump is a press in style and the p/u presses into it facing the TOP of the motor.

superdave013
    I would think if you got a v-drive pan you also got the v-drive pick-up. I don't know squat about fords but what ever you end up with the pick up should be at the back of the boat. At least I would think so.
    See if you can just get your cash back and then drive to Anaheim to Dooley and they will hook you up.

spectras only
    Well said superdave! Hallett,Take the pan back and get the pan with the 011010 #'s from Dooley.It will come with the right pickup from Dooley for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast