Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Puting trust in our kids

Scream
    :idea:
    I started responding to a thread by Jaxpunx with regards to the use of the trackable cell phones, available on the market, for our kids. I realized I'd jack the thread and didn't want to do that, so...
    What trust do we have in our kids. Not that we can say with any degree of certainty that they are going to always tell us the truth, I'd even venture to say that most of the time they leave out most of the details of what they're up to, JUST LIKE WE DID, in order to keep us happy as well as themselves. The new phones give parents the opportunity to "track" thier teens. Is that a necessity or is it an intrusion...
    I can see the justification as a safety feature (lost, broken down, etc) or perhaps and emergency situations which I won't go into, but as an everyday use I believe that the tracking phones would be an intrusion into my childrens privacy to some point. The fact that they have a phone is enough in my book to give me peace of mind and them some security.
    I would think the best use was for those teens that are repeatedly caught in the act of decieving thier parents, or those who have been in trouble with the law. Just my opinion, I would love to hear what anyone else thinks...

djunkie
    I think it varies for different kids. They weren't around when I was a kid and I turned out just fine. At least I think I did.

Rock-A-Bye-Baby
    I think i'm with you on this. As tempting as it is, and I will really want to know where my kids will be (they're only 5 and 3), i think it will have an adverse affect on the trust levels established between the parents and the kids. Like you said Scream, they will leave out the majority of the details, just like i did when i was a teenager. but believe me, if my folks would have put a tracking device on me, i would have hated it and found a way around it. And ultimately that would have led to trouble.
    I guess what i am trying to say is, what does it say about me as a parent to have to put a tracking device on my kid? (exceptions of course as mentioned above: "those teens that are repeatedly caught in the act of decieving thier parents, or those who have been in trouble with the law.")
    i hope that my relationships with my kids and the job i do as a parent will encourage my kids to make good decisions. i could go on.......and on......

HM
    I think it varies for different kids. They weren't around when I was a kid and I turned out just fine. At least I think I did.
    ditto.
    I think if your child becomes a problem or develops a pattern, then that would justify increased supervision.
    but, if your child has not broken your trust (and you are not in denial), then this type of tracking just may push them. Hey, if they have to do the time, they may as well do the crime. Don't punish them for something they have not done.

ratso
    ...thinking back to my school days, the majority of kids can't be trusted, and now days it's even worse. Tracking devices won't prevent anything though, and would probably cause more harm than good.

1stepcloser
    I agree with most of this, right up to the invasion of privacy part, as I feel that as a parent in is well within my rights to know where my kid is, and what she is up to.
    I was raised in the environment that "as long as your living under my roof, you'll follow my rules."
    I have that same philosophy toward my kid.
    That being said, I do not, nor do I intend to start, monitering my kids habits or her whereabouts as she has never given me cause to be alarmed.
    We have a very open relationship, and I beleive that she is pretty honest with me.

My Man's Sportin' Wood
    Matt, I agree 100%. I have read Orwell, and will admit, I'm a little paranoid of big brother. The fact that you can track your kids means the government can also. Same reason I don't have chips in my pets.
    If my child was in the wrong crowd, or ditching school and doing drugs, however, I may feel differently.

HM
    I agree with most of this, right up to the invasion of privacy part, as I feel that as a parent in is well within my rights to know where my kid is, and what she is up to.
    I was raised in the environment that "as long as your living under my roof, you'll follow my rules."
    I have that same philosophy toward my kid.
    That being said, I do not, nor do I intend to start, monitering my kids habits or her whereabouts as she has never given me cause to be alarmed.
    We have a very open relationship, and I beleive that she is pretty honest with me.
    I agree with you that they have no right to privacy until they can pay for it themselves. But, I will not "invade" it as a practice unless they are doing something to warrant. I think a random occasional invasion is needed, just because, but you should do it Columbo style and then they can continue thinking you are an idiot.

mike37
    we have phones that can be tracked but would never use it
    but in an emergency like maby abduction
    my thing is you have a phone if I call you you'd better answer

Phat Matt
    I didn't read anything is here but I just wanted to say...
    TRUST NO ONE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast