Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Puting trust in our kids

1stepcloser
    I agree with you that they have no right to privacy until they can pay for it themselves. But, I will not "invade" it as a practice unless they are doing something to warrant. I think a random occasional invasion is needed, just because, but you should do it Columbo style and then they can continue thinking you are an idiot.

Ultrafied
    I have to agree with the few who have discussed the "right to privacy". I never believed my son had a "right to privacy", privacy was earned and trust were earned, just like all the other benefits.
    Would I use a GPS tracker in the cell phone, absolutely. Would I track him all night, NO. Would I track him every time he left, Heck NO. But ... I don't see the problem in verifying once in awhile.
    I have known too many parents who would have been shocked by where and what their "good kids" were doing with the "trust" given to them.

boater72
    I agree with most of this, right up to the invasion of privacy part, as I feel that as a parent in is well within my rights to know where my kid is, and what she is up to.
    I was raised in the environment that "as long as your living under my roof, you'll follow my rules."
    I have that same philosophy toward my kid.
    That being said, I do not, nor do I intend to start, monitering my kids habits or her whereabouts as she has never given me cause to be alarmed.
    We have a very open relationship, and I beleive that she is pretty honest with me.
    I came from the same house! My wife and I also have a very open relationship with my daughter and son. Yes they will leave out some of the details inless asked.

Debbolas
    ok,
    but I would love to put locator chips in my kids........just so I could turn on my computer and KNOW where they are, just incase of a national disaster......I know this is wrong, but it is how I feel
    (Aly is sooooooooooo lucky Scream is her dad) :clover:

Scream
    I have to agree with the few who have discussed the "right to privacy". I never believed my son had a "right to privacy", privacy was earned and trust were earned, just like all the other benefits.
    Would I use a GPS tracker in the cell phone, absolutely. Would I track him all night, NO. Would I track him every time he left, Heck NO. But ... I don't see the problem in verifying once in awhile.
    I have known too many parents who would have been shocked by where and what their "good kids" were doing with the "trust" given to them.
    Are you a LEO? That would explain the last sentence. I believe the technology is cool, it's awsome and it's not always necessary. As Angie said, although I don't want to intrude in my kids personal lives to a detrimental degree, there are instances where it may become necessary to do so. I've got 3 great kids. Heaven forbid one of them runs afoul of life, but it's possible.
    I do ask my kids where they're going, what they're doing, who they'll be with, and when they'll be home. We know all of thier friends and make an overt attempt at making them our friends as well. Your kids friends are less likely to want to dissapoint you as a consequence to any shortcomings they may have. The twenty questions is automatic and Deb always says no regardless of what they ask, so I have to weigh the "evidence" and pronounce judgment on a regular basis.
    The privacy issue is a biggie to me. I respect others privacy and wish my privacy to be respected as well. I'm not a loner, but don't mind my private time either. I want my kids to have as much privacy as possible, because as this world evolves we loose bits of it all the time. There will be a time when there will be no real privacy to speak of, and that will be a shame IMO.
    Scream

JetBoatRich
    Tracking devices on kids, reading their mail/emails, etc :yuk: I would hope that our relationship with our kids is better than that. taking time to talk to them about a variety of subjects and letting them to do the same, if you like the subject or not. They are people and vent at times as well. A lot of pressures for kids, you need to love them , help them, guide them.

Debbolas
    The twenty questions is automatic and Deb always says no regardless of what they ask, so I have to weigh the "evidence" and pronounce judgment on a regular basis.
    That is why it's good I married Scream, we balance each other out..........
    (and I still REALLY like the idea of turning my computer on and knowing where my kids are.............I know it's wrong..............but ........I would like that)

chub
    ok,
    but I would love to put locator chips in my kids........just so I could turn on my computer and KNOW where they are, just incase of a national disaster......I know this is wrong, but it is how I feel
    (Aly is sooooooooooo lucky Scream is her dad) :clover:
    You can't be serious here. That's some major biblical fopar. Get hold of yourself and trust your kids. I'm pretty sure they are gonna turn out better then your given them credit.

Debbolas
    I know it's wrong, but that is how I feel.
    (of course I still check on them in their beds, to make sure they are breathing)

chub
    That is why it's good I married Scream, we balance each other out..........
    (and I still REALLY like the idea of turning my computer on and knowing where my kids are.............I know it's wrong..............but ........I would like that)
    On a different note:
    Thanks for the tip on Insurance. Steve is now my agent.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast