Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Puting trust in our kids

Debbolas
    I think he is great!!!
    Don't you check on your kids to be sure they are still breathing?

chub
    I know it's wrong, but that is how I feel.
    (of course I still check on them in their beds, to make sure they are breathing)
    Not trying to be rude. I know you just love them and want the best. I guess trust is a tough issue. I always told my parents the brutal truth when asked. Got in a lot of trouble. I'll tell everyone in the world, I wish everyone had parents like mine. I hope your kids say the same!

Debbolas
    Like I said, Scream and I balance each other out.......I am super over protective and he is............normal. :rollside: So the kids know to ask him first

Debbolas
    no, I'm sure you a great dad, I just super over protective :rollside:

Scream
    no, I'm sure you a great dad, I just super over protective :rollside:
    To support my wife, Yes, yes she is overprotective...but not as bad as some of our neighbors...They make her look like a negligent mom...lol

chub
    We don't have kids so I'm not fortunate enough to be able to check on them at night. Reality is I have about 40 kids......... all our freinds kids. I don't have one free weekend a year between birthdays and river weekends. Listen to me complain. Lookng forward to meetin you all.

Debbolas
    We don't have kids so I'm not fortunate enough to be able to check on them at night. Reality is I have about 40 kids......... all our freinds kids. I don't have one free weekend a year between birthdays and river weekends. Listen to me complain. Lookng forward to meetin you all.
    Next Dam Run

Norseman
    :idea:
    I started responding to a thread by Jaxpunx with regards to the use of the trackable cell phones, available on the market, for our kids. I realized I'd jack the thread and didn't want to do that, so...
    What trust do we have in our kids. Not that we can say with any degree of certainty that they are going to always tell us the truth, I'd even venture to say that most of the time they leave out most of the details of what they're up to, JUST LIKE WE DID, in order to keep us happy as well as themselves. The new phones give parents the opportunity to "track" thier teens. Is that a necessity or is it an intrusion...
    I can see the justification as a safety feature (lost, broken down, etc) or perhaps and emergency situations which I won't go into, but as an everyday use I believe that the tracking phones would be an intrusion into my childrens privacy to some point. The fact that they have a phone is enough in my book to give me peace of mind and them some security.
    I would think the best use was for those teens that are repeatedly caught in the act of decieving thier parents, or those who have been in trouble with the law. Just my opinion, I would love to hear what anyone else thinks...
    I have a fourteen year old daughter, would it be nice to know what she's doing every second, maybe.
    Will I give her a cell phone with a tracker in it. Absolutely not.
    I trust that Joan and I have given her the right values and she will do the right things, in most circumstances. I also expect that she will make some mistakes along the way, and will hopefully learn from them. :frown:
    There are still things I wouldn't tell my mother I did growing up!!!! :devil:
    At her age it might kill her, before she could kill me!!!!!
    Jessie is very open and honest and will tell us what she is doing, and going, and where she has been. I think it would hurt our relationship with her if she knew we were tracking her. Does her cell phone have a GPS locator in it, if and only if she dials 911 absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Given the average smarts of our kids, if you give them a tracker and they don't want you to know where they are, you won't, they will figure out a way to beat the system!!!! :hammer2:

chub
    Goood aaaaaaaannnnnnnssswwwweeeerrrrrrrrrrr!

jackpunx
    I have to agree with the few who have discussed the "right to privacy". I never believed my son had a "right to privacy", privacy was earned and trust were earned, just like all the other benefits.
    Would I use a GPS tracker in the cell phone, absolutely. Would I track him all night, NO. Would I track him every time he left, Heck NO. But ... I don't see the problem in verifying once in awhile.
    I have known too many parents who would have been shocked by where and what their "good kids" were doing with the "trust" given to them.
    This is where I’m at.. I have this service and have not used it yet.. My kid gets good grades and has not ever been in trouble with the law.
    I give her a lot of freedom to make her own decisions and .. When she doesn’t want to come to the river with us.. I let her stay home..
    I also gave her a car for her B day last year.. and getting her a better one this month as I know she is a better driver now..
    Having said that..
    I don’t know how old your kids are.. or how involved you are with them.. But.. I follow up on my daughter. When she tells me she is going to be somewhere I want to know that she is there.. When she tells me she is going to be home at a certain time.. I hold her to that.. . She tells things to my sister.. "In confidence" that when necessary my sister will share with me.. But I do not break her confidence.
    I can imagine that its hard to talk to your dad.. as I have been a single dad for a long time..
    So.. I know for fact that she leaves a lot of detail out of our conversations.. I know that the age she is in is the time for "EVERYTHING".. and I allow her to do it and make her own decisions as long as they are safe.. when I tell her NO.. She listens as far as I know..
    This system is preventive maintenance.. I know if she has been speeding in her car.. If I want to check up on her and verify where she says she is.. I can....
    I think alot of us are in denial about our kids.. Alot of us talk a great game about "invasion of privacy" "Trust" "allowing kids to make mistakes"..
    I believe in all that.. I also practice it..
    I want my daughter to skin her knees a bit because Im not always going to be there.. I don’t enter her room with out knocking.. I don’t go through her purse.. .. I talk to her about everything.. I ask her about drugs, Grades, her friends, school, music.. the list goes on.. When she was little I coached her soccer team for 2 years.. I taught her band and have been very involved
    I don’t know if you remember when you were kids.. but there are certain things we do as a right of passage.. I believe everyone should do these things..
    But.. Because I’m a parent now.. I can not allow things that put her in Danger.. It dosnt meen that it wont happen.. and that I didnt do it.. It just means that in my current roll as a parent .. its not ok with me..
    I talked to her about this whole tracking thing.. She is totally cool with it.. So we’ll see how it goes.. and I’ll keep you posted..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast