Thread: Driver Information Center (DIC)

thesunking
    I got a family member to take over my payments on my '04 Cheby 2500HD 6.0 extended cab over this past weekend and I made the mad rush over to the local GMC dealer to see if I could land a good deal. Anyway, I got a '05 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD CC Max/Ally with the upgraded bucket seats and I've been keeping an eye on the amount of diesel I've burned to date. I've traveled roughly over 240 miles since Sunday which puts me just shy of the ½ mark. Does this sound right? Would like to hear from other diesel owners.
    BTW- It's a shortbed with a 26 gallon tank.

Beer-30
    A friend had an '03 4X4, short bed, crew cab, 2500. Has Gibson exhaust and Hypertech programmer.
    I was with this person when they put 21 gallons in. Trip odo was reset at prior fill up. Showed 425 miles. Most of this was their commute, 80 miles - round trip. Mostly 2-lane 55 mph roads. Some city mixed in.
    I personnally drove it pulling their 21' Malibu tourny boat. 4 adults, full fuel in both, ice chests, luggage. I got 7.8 driving it 75-80 to Barstow. The owner said it gets a whole lot better at 70 and below. They drove 2nd half (Barstow-Havasu) at 65-70 and got 8.8.

bear down
    I got a family member to take over my payments on my '04 Cheby 2500HD 6.0 extended cab over this past weekend and I made the mad rush over to the local GMC dealer to see if I could land a good deal. Anyway, I got a '05 GMC Sierra SLE 2500HD CC Max/Ally with the upgraded bucket seats and I've been keeping an eye on the amount of diesel I've burned to date. I've traveled roughly over 240 miles since Sunday which puts me just shy of the ½ mark. Does this sound right? Would like to hear from other diesel owners.
    Actually that really good....If I drive normal I get about 350 miles to the tank but when I floor it on the freeway I get around 300 miles to the tank (15 mpg avg.) I tend to notice that Diesel from truck stops give me better milage than the diesel from Gas Stations and you'll find a station that you'll notice is the best quality and best milage and stick with that station.

bear down
    A friend had an '03 4X4, short bed, crew cab, 2500. Has Gibson exhaust and Hypertech programmer.
    I was with this person when they put 21 gallons in. Trip odo was reset at prior fill up. Showed 425 miles. Most of this was their commute, 80 miles - round trip. Mostly 2-lane 55 mph roads. Some city mixed in.
    I personnally drove it pulling their 21' Malibu tourny boat. 4 adults, full fuel in both, ice chests, luggage. I got 7.8 driving it 75-80 to Barstow. The owner said it gets a whole lot better at 70 and below. They drove 2nd half (Barstow-Havasu) at 65-70 and got 8.8.Very true...Actually the optimal speed is 60. Pulling my 40' Warrior I get about 9 mpg going about 65-70 but about 12/13 going 55/60 big difference..That turbo loves diesel.

Wonderboy
    That's really good. I have the same set up but it's a chevy. My DIC has been showing around 15.5mpg but when I calculated it out it was actually 13.3mpg. I'm usually around 325 to 350 by the time my tank is on E. Is your truck lowered with smaller tires? Maybe your millage is off. :idea:

thesunking
    That's really good. I have the same set up but it's a chevy. My DIC has been showing around 15.5mpg but when I calculated it out it was actually 13.3mpg. I'm usually around 325 to 350 by the time my tank is on E. Is your truck lowered with smaller tires? Maybe your millage is off. :idea:
    Now that sounds right. I'm thinking my gauge is gonna fly across the remainder of diesel. My truck is a all factory with a 2X4.

OLDRAT
    Yeppers, that's not bad.
    My 2005 Crew Cab D/A 2500 4WD started off getting 14.5 around town
    when new. It is hard not to flog these things they are so amazing

MagicMtnDan
    You probably realize this but you the MPGs on the DIC aren't accurate.

OLDRAT
    Yea, I just use them as a baseline. It actually gets slighty better.
    Don't take the DIC too seriously it is just there as a convenience.

meaniam
    dang i thought diesels were getting better milage then my 03 1500 x cab 4.3. guess not. i get roughly 470 to the tank about 26 gallons. my best investment for mileage and security was bed cover. k and n airfilter didnt notice a difference really. and synthetic oil didnt see any difference either.im not sure but you may get better gas milage when engine breaks in a little.that is what they say about gas engines. if i place my foot in the intake i can watch my tank off gas empty within 420 miles. still get better then my chevelle which is about 4-6 mile to the gallon.