Thread: strut bushing

meaniam
    i know it has been recently posted just want to make sure i dont screw this up. hey i am replacing my prop strut bushing i dont think im doing this right. first i brought shaft and strut to rex marine. they sold me the fiberbushing looks like cardboard material, the old one i swears looks rubber but may look like that cuase it is old. i dont know. now on this strut it has 2 bushings.one on each end.i know that i should hacksaw this thing, and have done so in the groves. i am afraid to do to much. it feels like i have a lip inside. i noticed this when i was doing to stirke it using hammer and screw driver, to try and force this out. is it safe to strike here.
    thanks to all that inform your help is appreciated from this novice
    thanks agian
    mike

GofastRacer
    If it looks like a rubber one it is, they have both!.. Some struts have a lip that prevents the bushing from going forward, the outer part of those are brass so it will take a bit more effort to cut it, just watch how far you cut when you get close take a small chisel and tap the edge it should colapse if your close, if not cut some more. When you put the new one in, before you cut it in half draw a line down the center and when you put them in make sure you match the lines, most of the time those fibre bushings are not bored dead center and it can be a real bitch getting the shaft to slide up!..Hope this helps!...

meaniam
    Hell Ya! thanks art for info i needed to no that bushing had outter shell.
    i took it put a big screwdriver wedged into driver side of 9/16 impact socket wedged it in prop shaft. 3 gorrilla sized swing bushing came right out no problem. took more time worring about doing this wrong and messing up.then it did for the whole job. now for install cut same length and press in? thanks agian :devil:
    mike

GofastRacer
    Hell Ya! thanks art for info i needed to no that bushing had outter shell.
    i took it put a big screwdriver wedged into driver side of 9/16 impact socket wedged it in prop shaft. 3 gorrilla sized swing bushing came right out no problem. took more time worring about doing this wrong and messing up.then it did for the whole job. now for install cut same length and press in? thanks agian :devil:
    mike
    You're welcome, glad everything is working out!..

meaniam
    nice aviator can you blow it up and post it like to see it

dmontzsta
    Make sure you use the all thread rod with two nuts and washers, works like a champ. Did you cut the bushing in half and put one in each side?

meaniam
    i havent installed yet going to home depot tomorrow to get threaded stock
    bushing were easy to get out.didnt even have to saw them

i havent installed yet going to home depot tomorrow to get threaded stock
    bushing were easy to get out.didnt even have to saw them
    Some 1/2" allthread works great with nuts and washers. Smaller dia ok too but just real easy with 1/2. Remember to mark a line and line them up like Art said, fiber not always exactly on center with bore.

meaniam
    Some 1/2" allthread works great with nuts and washers. Smaller dia ok too but just real easy with 1/2. Remember to mark a line and line them up like Art said, fiber not always exactly on center with bore.
    Remember to mark a line and line them up like Art said, fiber not always exactly on center with bore.

Remember to mark a line and line them up like Art said, fiber not always exactly on center with bore.
    Draw a line straight down the length of the bushing. After you cut it in half (before you install in strut), align that line up between the 2 halves so it gets installed in the strut in the same orientation it was in before it was cut in half. Does that explain better? Put the line at the bottom for example before pulling the 2 halves into the strut.