Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Berk JE pump shifter cable

Konabud
    I just received my Christmas presents from Rex (thanks Rexone) which included among other things a new shifter cable. I ordered a Teleflex Tfxtreme cable as a direct replacement for the old Morse 43C cable I was replacing. I removed my shifter cable (with cable seal) and when I went to put the new one on found that the cable jacket was smaller in diameter than the old Morse cable so my seal will not work! Whats a body to do? Do they make a seal with a larger O ring? Keep in mind that this is a JE pump with the cables coming thru the transom below the waterline using bellows which attach to the aformentioned cable seal to keep the water out (ha!ha! still drying my pants after pulling the bellows). Any help would be cool! (Rex is closed until after the first)
    Konabud

Cole1313
    I just received my Christmas presents from Rex (thanks Rexone) which included among other things a new shifter cable. I ordered a Teleflex Tfxtreme cable as a direct replacement for the old Morse 43C cable I was replacing. I removed my shifter cable (with cable seal) and when I went to put the new one on found that the cable jacket was smaller in diameter than the old Morse cable so my seal will not work! Whats a body to do? Do they make a seal with a larger O ring? Keep in mind that this is a JE pump with the cables coming thru the transom below the waterline using bellows which attach to the aformentioned cable seal to keep the water out (ha!ha! still drying my pants after pulling the bellows). Any help would be cool! (Rex is closed until after the first)
    Konabud
    I am sure they make a different seal. But if they dont, use some silicone.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Ace is the place with the helpful hardware man. (and a LOT of different size/thickness o-rings)

Duane HTP
    The o-ring is not what seals the cable. It needs to be lubed there so it will slide back and forth easily. The BOOT is what seals the water out of the boat.

Konabud
    Thanks for all the responses, I found an O ring that fit the bill (a little large on the o/d and a little thicker). Greased her up, should work good! Got quite a bit accomplished today. New tilt steering with cable and new shifter with cable installed! I'll probably have to silicone the small end of the shifter cable boot because of the smaller cable diameter.Thanks again!
    Konabud

Hey Konabud...
    u must have a really wierd cable set-up?...my cables on my '76 Kona go thru the transom above the water line...why do urs go below the water line?
    just curious...sounds fishy to me!
    fastrat

Konabud
    I think all 12-JE and 12-JF pumps are like that.

Duane HTP
    He has an E Pump. E & F pumps all have their cables coming out of the transom by the lower right side of the pump. Here's a picture of the set up.
    http://www.hi-techperformance.com/images/12-JF.gif

olbiezer
    why didnt u just order a 43bc cable they are still for sale around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast