Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Additives

Rivertoys_com
    Does anyone use Dura-lube or Prolong?
    Does anyone have a good reason NOT to use those products?
    Is one better than another?
    I'm seriously considering using Duralube in my 460 to help protect the bearings.
    Dura-lube's box states it's for 4-5qrt cap. cases. I have a dooley pan that's bigger than that. Should I just double-up for 8-10qrts?
    Any comments would be appreciated.

Cas42
    I put Prolong in my truck a couple of years ago. While driving up the freeway doing about 65, the oil pressure went to 0. Since I didn't hear any unusual noises, I just drove home. When I got home, I smelled oil burning and saw smoke. I looked underneath the truck and oil was dripping from pretty much everywhere. It turns out something hit the oil filter punching a little hole in it.
    I drove about 9 miles with basically no oil in the motor, no noise whatsoever and without any rise in engine temp.

ChetCapoli
    Thats an interesting story Cas42, are you still using that motor and if you are how many miles have you put on it since?
    chet

phillyray
    For me I use the old stand-by S.T.P.it caries an added amount of Zinc,which in case metal to metal contact may occur when it shuld not,the added Zinc protects the metal.
    just for giggles I tried Pro-Long ONCE....Hung a exhaust valve.I'll leave that product on the store shelf.

Cas42
    Chet,
    The truck was a 1985 Chevy 1/2t 4x4 with about 130,000 miles on it when I added the Prolong. I put about 45,000 miles on it after that incident before selling it to my neighbor's brother 4 months ago. He uses it everyday to haul hay bails and feed from ranch to ranch putting about 30 miles a day on it. I might sound like that infomercial but I'll tell you what, I believe it works.
    It's now in my new truck and boat.

77charger
    Jason try synthetic.But break in the motor first so that the rings can seat.Dont add anything til the motor rings are seated.

dcraig
    Don't use either. I had a problem with Prolong also. The motor spun bearings (main and cam). Duralube reduces the clearances in all the moving parts. Don't use it either.
    Just run full synthetic

INFINITEJJ
    PROLONG IS THE GOOD STUFF!! SOME OF THE FUEL CARS USE IT AS AN ASSEMBLY LUBE. KENNY BERNSTIEN USES IT AND FORGOT TO ADD OIL TO HIS DRAGSTER ONCE AFTER DRAINING THE CONTAMINATED OIL AFTER A WARM UP. HE DID A FULL BURNOUT DURING ELIMINATIONS, BACKED UP, NOTICED HE HAD NO OIL PRESSURE, STAGED THE CAR. HE THEN TOOK THE GREEN LIGHT AND SHUT THE CAR DOWN, HOPING FOR THE OTHER GUY TO RED LIGHT. HE SAID THE ONLY THING THAT KEEP THE MOTOR RUNNING WAS THE PROLONG. IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF SOMETHING THAT CAN KEEP A FUEL MOTOR RUNNING FOR THAT LONG WITHOUT ANY OIL, I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT IT!!!! THIS INFO CAME FROM K.B. IN AN ARTICLE HE WROTE IN NATIONAL DRAGSTER MAGAZINE.

best1syn2oil
    Most oil "additives" or "treatments" contain chlorine extreme pressure compounds. Though they will do some things well in the short run, they appear to promote sludging in lab testing that we've done. Also the chlorine components are highly reactive with byproducts of combustion and can damage internal parts. They can and often will upset the additive chemistry in engine oils in undesirable ways. Check out the Federal Trade Commission web site for sanctions imposed for bogus advertising claims against virtually all of these companies...Duralube, Prolong, Slick 50...etc. Best bet is to use a premium synthetic..Amsoil, Mobil, Redline, and perhaps Castrol.

19Kona
    I am glad this came up, because I had the same question. Anyway I have been using synthetic in my 455 with no probs (so far). My 455 runs with the stock oil pump and no restrictors. I have always thought that the sythetic would make it to the bottom of the motor faster than the regular oil on high rpm runs. What do you guys think of valvoline - I need to do the first oil change in my 2002 yukon?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast