Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: whats the best berkeley pump

mccluskey8679
    what is the best one for the buck. now i think it is the new 12jr. but between the 12jg, 12jc, 12ja, (12je sucks i know that much). i am trying to build a decent jet boat i plan on buying one of capps' 19 foot cheyennes but i am tired of v drives and want to go jet. i will be pushing maybe a little over 400 horsepower.

Squirtin Thunder
    The JA, JB and JG not to mention the JR are all split bowl pumps. If you bought a JC, Neil @ San Diego Performance Marine and Jack at MPD do split bowl conversions on them. I have a JB you can see in the pic to the left.
    Good Luck
    Jim

Jet Hydro
    I spell it AGGRESSOR
    Call Duane at HI-Tech and he`ll set you up with the best deal.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Never aggressor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DeputyDawg
    Dominator!

HBjet
    Converted JC to JG by MPD. Longest/Straightest exit vanes (for a Berkeley) JB is the shortest and JR and JG are the same.
    HBjet

DeputyDawg
    Hey HBjet, what does it cost to convert a JC bowl over to a split? I talked to a couple of people who really like that set up. I called Jack at MPD and he told me as far as stock bowls go that the Dominator was probably the best in untouched form, but once they have been worked it was probably a toss up.

DeputyDawg
    Hey bear, I started a thread about who built the strongest pump a while back and I didn't get a lot of replies, but it appears to me that the Dominator is definitely a stronger piece. I think the reason you see more Berkeleys in drag boats is just because there were a lot more Berks builts than Dominators. When I was asking around at the last races I went to a few of the guys who were running Berkeleys said that if they ever had to replace their suction pieces that they would do so with a Dominator piece. What kind of speed and E.T. does your boat run? What bowl do you run?

HBjet
    Hey HBjet, what does it cost to convert a JC bowl over to a split? I talked to a couple of people who really like that set up. I called Jack at MPD and he told me as far as stock bowls go that the Dominator was probably the best in untouched form, but once they have been worked it was probably a toss up.
    I think it was $375 for the conversion. It's mostly labor too. Lots of work there... When Jeff Bennett asked me what pump I had and I told him it was a converted JC to JG, he agreed it was the best bowl you could ever have. He has some interesting opinions about mfg's pumps etc. from his testing.
    HBjet

Jet Hydro
    I don't know guy`s ???? My boat came with a Dominator and we changed it to the Aggressor. I saw a huge difference in performance. I still have part of the old Dominator pump and if it was better I`d be using it but I have found that my Aggressor out preformed the Dominator hands down. There was nothing wrong with the Dominator pump when we took it out as a matter of fact it was a good tight pump as it had just been rebuilt. Part of the old Dominator pump is going in my lake boat just because I have it laying around or I`d put an aggressor in it too!
    Just my $0.02

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast