Thread: GS or anyone ???

tahitijet
    greg you told me at one time but i forgot. what thickness cloth and mat do i need when i put my transom and stringers back in the boat? 2 layers of mat between the transom and wood and then 2 layers of cloth over the wood? what about the stringers? and was it something like 7oz you told me to use? and where is a good place to get this stuff?
    thanks

beached1
    I don't know where you are located in CA but I buy all my fiberglass materials at a place called S&W Plastics in San Bernardino. I'm in the process of glassin in new stringers and transom also. I'm going with one layer of mat (that's the cloth that looks like it's shreded fibers woven together) and then a layer of thick cloth for looks. This should be plenty strong enough. If you are not near the Inbred Empire, I would look in the yellow pages for a Plastics supply store or an automotive paint store. Just remember, you should use Polyester based resins and weenie rollers are a must.
    hope this helps,
    [This message has been edited by beached1 (edited March 30, 2002).]

comin' unscrewed
    Beach1, what's a weenie roller?
    Thanks,
    Steve

beached1
    It's a very small roller that's usually the size of ...uh you know. Much like a paint roller but on a smaller scale. Most places that sell fibergless materials sell weenie rollers in all kind of sizes. They're needed for rolling out the air bubbles when you are working with glass. Try to get the rollers that are usually sold at fibeglass places because they come in all sizes and have a steel roller surface. If these can't be found a small weenie roller from Home Depot's paint section will work also. Just will have to toss it in the trash when you are done though.
    Take care,

beached1
    I should also add that you might need a wheel roller (Looks like a Pizza cutter) too for the corners. Typicaly, I use the cheapest paint brushes I can find for applying the resin. Then a roller to roll out the air bubbles. Then more resin, then more beer, etc. http://free.***boat.net/ubb/smile.gif