Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 3D Modeling

superdave013
    getting the program is the easy part. Learning how to use it quickly is the hard part.
    Solid works will do just what he wants. I'm no expert but have been using it more and more. Trying to ween off of 2D Auto Cad myself.

the_gray_goose
    Just curious to see of anyone on here knows some form of 3D modeling program or has the hookup on someone who does. I need to get a project done up in 3D and I am having a hard time finding someone who can do it.
    Danny
    I have a seat of PROE and have 16 years of freelance work under my belt.
    What kind of work do you need?
    E-mail me and we can talk further.
    darrenmark@comcast.net

Slib77
    You can also check out Z Brush. It is a 3D sculpting program. It is useful if you are using a clay medium.
    Solid Works is cool. I have a buddy who uses it to make all of his custom knives.

Norseman
    A buddy of mine works in the automotive design industry and has some renderings drawn up that he wants to take to the next level. He is now looking to model the designs into some sort of 3d modeling so he can get a 360 degree view as well as have the ability to accurately input proportions. He needs to be able to look at it in proportion to see if the design will look correct as well as be functional. He also need the ability to pull dimensions off of the program to give to the guys who are going to clay model the vehicle. I know that there are a bunch of different programs available out there, but I don't have a clue when it comes to this stuff. He just asked me if I knew anyone and I told him I could check around and see what I can do.
    Danny
    Danny;
    To be able to do that he will need to really learn the program. The learning curve on any 3 D modeling program is pretty step!!
    We use auto cad, which is just OK, I can do 2 D stuff fairly well, I've been using the program a long time, but 3 D is tough
    To have someone else input the stuff, and then make changes would be very difficult, I thnk.
    Bob

SummitKarl
    where are you at and what do you need.
    got it all here, including the 3axis cnc mill,
    p.s. don't listen to those PRO-E numbsculls, it's WORTHLESS!!!!!!!!
    got Cadkey and Mastercam thats all I need to make anything you can dream of.

ROZ
    I've been known to make a snowman or 2 out of Playdough, what you need help with?

Aquaholic502
    I use mastercam also and it works great. But if you are looking for just a one shot deal I dont know if they have a demo. I have a bootleg copy of version 9.1. I know either solid edge or solid works has a demo and that would be fine too. Summitkarl what kind of work do you do, we have a 7 axis lathe at my work and it is crazy to work on.

SummitKarl
    I use mastercam also and it works great. But if you are looking for just a one shot deal I dont know if they have a demo. I have a bootleg copy of version 9.1. I know either solid edge or solid works has a demo and that would be fine too. Summitkarl what kind of work do you do, we have a 7 axis lathe at my work and it is crazy to work on.
    I have not up dated MC in awile but I own ver. 6-something (inc. Lathe)
    and it's menu is similar to Cadkey, to two work great togeather.
    as for work I am a Architect in Lake Havasu for a couple of the major home builders. but I spent 20+yrs in San Diego. doing CAD/CAM on everything from circuit boards,plastics,machine parts and reactors for General Atomics, I owend a rapid proto-type shop in S.D. and kept all the stuff for LHC

the_gray_goose
    Only hackers use anything other than Proe or SDRC.
    I have made a good living fixing the mistakes made by peolpe trying to be cheep the first time by using one of the lower end CAD packages to do products. You get what you pay for!!! The reason ProE is difficult to use is because of is accuracy. It will not allow you to make the hacker mistakes you can get away with in the cheap, easy to learn, programs. They allow mistakes in the data that will come back to haunt you when you start cutting production tooling form it.
    "Do it right the 1st time" is my advice to anyone trying to develope a new product. Or you will end up paying for it twice.

schmaubba
    i use soliworks. its easy to lern if ya have the time. and you can send moving models to anyone and they dont need the software to open it and view it. have also used the lastest unigraghics, and have seen pro e.
    oh, by the way..im tool designer for stamping dies, so my main background is in autocad. i guess i missed what youre are looking to do :mix: :mix: just product design?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast