Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC oil pan question

gregr1971
    i am getting ready to pull the motor from my race car and put in my jet boat,my question is is it absolutly a must that i use a jet boat oil pan,or will a stock 454 oil pan work???looked in jegs and rex marine -$330.00-$600.00 awful high for an oil pan. also looking for an old beat up ,rusted out set of headers for mock up,any body have any they want to throw away,or sale REAL cheap??? i can pay the shipping........

likeFATHERlikeSON3
    since no one else is taking this. as long as the pick up is in the right spot on the current pan you should be alright. my brother bought a sanger v-drive and the pan was from a jet. this put the pick-up at the front which contirbuted to a major meltdown... my.02

SmokinLowriderSS
    I'm running a stock 5-qt factory GM oil pan. Well, OK, the new one is chrome because the original one for 27 years was badly rust pitted in the front. It works just fine. Use a REAR PICK-UP! I'll bet the v-drive backwards pan was a problem. :crossx:
    Do either get a pan with a windage tray or put one on your motor. It's just helpful at oil controll in the crank area.

AZKC
    I ran a stock pan for many years Went to a Milidon jet pan and started eating valves :hammer2: and it was all the pans fault :hammer2: :shift:

gregr1971
    i guess i need to clarify myself when i say "stock" it is the oil pan that came on the motor,it is a moroso deep rear sump pan,i have never pulled the pan but it is huntsville engine 540 crate motor,it should have a good crank scraper and or wingage tray shouldn't it?what do i need to do make this motor a marine motor?i am putting it in a 77' sleekcraft aristocrat,what kind of speed "should" i expect to see??still need to figure out how to mount it, the boat has two pieces of aluminum angle i assume suports the motor??
    Is there a certain angle for the motor in relation to the pump??

sanger rat
    That pan may not fit in the bottom of your boat. Jet boat pan are about 7 1/2 inches deep. The pan for my hull has to be less than 8 inches deep or it would hit the nuts for the loader.

gregr1971
    That pan may not fit in the bottom of your boat. Jet boat pan are about 7 1/2 inches deep. The pan for my hull has to be less than 8 inches deep or it would hit the nuts for the loader.
    thats what i'm afraid of,BUT if i spend one more penny on my boats right now,my wife is going to remove my checkbook and credit cards from my posesion!she has already warned me twice!

Hondo78
    I have a Jet Pan, says "Banks Performance" on the side, it was gold cad plated like a Milodon. I pulled it on a BBC 427 Mark IV, from a Nordic Jet. I was going to use it in my V-drive and change the baffel direction. But if anyone has a V-drive pan, I' ll sell this one and save the welding efforts. Is your block a Mark IV?

gregr1971
    oil pan is not a problem,i can get one, another concern i have is crank to pump shaft relation,do they need to be perfectly in line? this boat originally had a 455 olds,i am trying to get a real motor in its place,putting a new(reman) pump it is a 12JR-AA ,i traded my 25' sleekcraft tug boat daycruiser jet with a fresh 466bbf /12 jg-a for this complete pump,i was told it was a 4000.00 race pump,not sure, i dont recall a 12JR-AA pump??? but thats what is on the
    suction piece plate,is this pump a good one?has a droop,wedge ,hyd. place diverter with ftn,billet stuffer,and an inducer, no pump or controls for the pd.,and the pump is chrome!!! whoo hoo!

gregr1971
    I have a Jet Pan, says "Banks Performance" on the side, it was gold cad plated like a Milodon. I pulled it on a BBC 427 Mark IV, from a Nordic Jet. I was going to use it in my V-drive and change the baffel direction. But if anyone has a V-drive pan, I' ll sell this one and save the welding efforts. Is your block a Mark IV?
    the only thing stamped on the block is "wold products/dart BIG "M" "
    i believe it is a copy of a chevy block,the heads have "BRODIX II XTRA"
    on them,intake is an edelbrock VICTOR 454-R. what are you asking for the pan?and will it fit?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast