Thread: Hydro hull repair

rufstockcowboy
    I am repairing a hull on my hydro. Anyone out there ever price out marine grade Douglas Fir plywood and 20' 2"x 6"?

EXTREMEBOATS
    Here in Florida we get 12' X 2" X 6" fir stringers at Thomas Lumber for $95.00 give or take a buck. These are hand picked, high quality boards. We don't use fir plywood, but if you check a high end lumber supplier in your area and they should be able to help you get what you need. We use mainly ashe for toeboards and transoms and all our core is balsa. Hope this helps. Feel free to call if we can help you further.
    Mike

rufstockcowboy
    This is a 73 Dimarco what was use in it back then?

EXTREMEBOATS
    Damn good question!!!! As far as I've heard, The Dimarco was splashed off of a Gene Deaver hydro. And depending on whether or not the hull you have was "Custom" ordered or a standard production type hull. I would look for any "True" historian's that were involved in the time period your hull was built. Who knows what they used... I'll ask around also and see what comes from it. Mike :hammerhea :2purples:

EXTREMEBOATS
    Okay I just got off the phone with Bobby Hewitt who tells me standard marine plywood is what they used back then. Kristina

rufstockcowboy
    Thanks for the info! I went ahead and ordered the wood on friday. $492.00 for 3 sheets and two stringers, ouch!! It will be in in 4 days. Started today squarin the boat up in a jig to remove the floor and the stringers. I will post some pics during the process of the build up. The shell of the boat is in perfect condition no stress cracks what so ever just alot of dryrot. Got until August to get it ready to goto paint. Will need some info on engine/v drive placement. So many diffrent number out there.Thanks for the help restoring this beauty!

coolchange
    AWRIGHT NOW! Lets see elbows and asses! I've done this and its a job!
    If I can give ya a tip, build some stringer clamps to keep them aligned. I took a piece of flat plate and bolted a 3" angle to each side to keep the width and keep them perpendicular to the floor. PICS!

rufstockcowboy
    Will do!!